Anyone still use a screen protector?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by SDreamer, Mar 17, 2012.

1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

So after a year of using a Photodon Antiglare HD screen protector I've finally got irritated enough with touch not working really well. So I wanted to pose the question if after some time of owning your tm2 do you still use your screen protector?

For me it really prevented me from enjoying the touch screen of this device. Now that I have it off it's really feeling like a new device; from being able to touch type on the screen with almost all my fingers (my pinkie even registers), to being able to do the edge swipes on Windows 8 way more accurately than before, to being able to gently scroll now with the tips of my fingers oppose to the pads. With the screen protector it really made me jealous of just about all the tablets out their, because part of their ease of use was with how sensitive their screens were. It really is a shame that the protector does dampen the touch experience though. I'd really like to have one especially when I use the pen, but I did pay for a multitouch experience as well.
    Also, using the antiglare made my screen look grainy, which is obvious, send this is highly opinion based, but the screen just pops more without it. I've seen true matte screens and those are really nice, but when I put this faux matte on it, with the viewing angles, it just really did not give a pleasant experience.
    If I were going to reapply my screen protector, I'd probably opt for a glossy one next time.

Edit: Being a little paranoid, I put the protector back on to see if I could deal with it still, but off it came. That said, again I'm using a year old Photodon antiglare HD, and I just got some wax paper (you can get this at any super market), and just put my protector on that for now. Peels right off clean on both the screen and wax paper and applies just as easily. Very surprising how well the adhesive is.

2. RIKIRK

RIKIRK Pen Pal - Newbie

SDreamer, thank you a lot for all the support you keep providing in this forum.

I used the Exim anti-glare for a while and I do agree with all your points.
    Maybe HP will show new screens with the Win8 tablets at the end of the year.

Still, I am very happy with my Tm2t and there is no other machine in the market yet that has so much versatility. I am just waiting to install the RC of Win8 and I will be even happier. Regards.

3. SDreamer

Thanks. I think it really is in Wacom's hands and not really HPs. Wacom has great pen digitizers, but their touch components are left to be desired. With Windows 8, I think this will force them to start thinking, because with how Windows 8 is, everything will most likely have a touch screen, whether it be a TabletPC or a laptop. Hopefully these screens will not be affected by something like screen protectors. I'm still thinking about getting a Crystal Clear protector from Photodon or Exim, but I'll probably test out how durable this screen is without one.

4. Cbs

Cbs Pen Pal - Newbie

I changed my protectors twice, in just a few month.

Ended up with naked one :)

The cost/price of the scratch, comparing to the protector was quite comparable. So I dont really care.

In the end I really noticed that Windows 7 doesn't actually 'really' touch friendly. Though the pen was just fine, frequently switching between finger/pen was still annoying to me.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I've never tried a screen protector, but I should have used one. There's a 1 square inch spot on my screen where the pen feels "gritty". That's the spot that I usually use to drag pages up and down. Since I noticed the spot, I've used the pen a lot less (because I don't want to get it worse) and have relied on touch much more.

6. SDreamer

I'm guessing that's from performing flicks?

On the note of screen protectors and damage from stylus use, I think the most common related damage is going to be light scratches, most likely due to dust getting between the stylus tip and the screen during a stroke. I've had this happen to me on my iPod Touch, with it's Gorilla glass I'd assume it was safe (my dad's iPhone takes a beating, but still no scratches though). So another thing I'd like to ask, how exactly do we know when the nib should be changed?

7. iKeith

iKeith Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, everyone,

I've just got my tm2, and also attached an AR protector on the screen, and also got a lot of scratches... so, the screen does be scratched without a protector? I'm from Taiwan, and unable to buy a Photodon or Exim protector here. If I don't care about multi-touch experience, does the protector from Photodon or Exim scratch a lot? I'm desperate to find the solution for the scratches cause by the pen.

8. SDreamer

From my experience, Photodon is very resilient. After a year and a half of daily usage, not scratches so far.

9. Lokan

Lokan Longtime Convertible User

Started with an AntiGlare screen protector, but couldn't live with the light diffusion. Got the EXiM UltraClear screen protector and used it since - got one scratch, but nothing major. Very happy with it - but it was the last time I bought a glossy screen convertible.

10. SDreamer

What do you think about the touch sensitivity with Exim?

11. pasih

pasih Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using Exim Ultraclear for 1.5 years now and it hasn't really bothered me at all. When attaching it I even managed to leave an air bubble between it and the screen, but it's at a side of the screen and I don't pay attention to it. So I might not be the most OCD-type of person about these kinds of things ;)

To tell you the truth I don't even remember that there is something extra on top of the screen when using tm2. I don't remember touch sensitivity being that much better without Exim but I can't really remember the time before it. I must say, though, that I'm not a heavy user of the touch screen, just some light use usually when I'm reading or surfing on the bed. At one point I did take notes in OneNote for a few days and writing with pen was okay with Exim attached. I mean the Exim might lessen the sensitivity a bit but on the other hand it also lets you use the screen without worrying about scratches. I sometimes do some light sketching on Photoshop with tm2, and it works okay, but the screen's viewing angles are so horrible that I usually sketch on my Cintiq and desktop computer.