Anyone Replace Their Laptop With Surface 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nope - had the i5/256gb. FWIW - I'm down $327 between selling off the i5 and accessories and buying the i7 - which I'm not too upset about given the larger SSD and a new one year warranty.

I've read things all over the map concerning i5/i7 heat and battery life. I expect more heat, and fan noise, especially when docked, but I've read several test reviewers who got a little better battery life on the i7 because of a reduced number of "clock-cycles" or something like that.

Some great news from Thurrott about Win 10 and multiple displays - display scaling is screen independent - in other words you can set each screen to a scaling that is good for it - a real boon to multiple monitor users.

bloodycape and Bronsky like this.
  2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

At work, actually when straight to a tabletPC from the desktop. Totally skipped the whole laptop phase. One generation of a convertible tabletPC and hated it. Never to go back. Now at home, just replaced a long succession of laptops with the SP1 about two years ago. Have a way of propping the SP1 up on one crossed leg on the couch for a very comfortable typing session. Never could do a typing session with a regular laptop (on the couch) because of the uncomfortable heat generation. They never should have been called laptops because of this. The tablets are better as the heat is in the tablet back and not in the keyboard.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. dstrauss

I had forgotten about their own site because they never have their higher-end gear up there. Those seem to go to third party resellers. If I were Microsoft (since they are so into mimicking Apple lately) I'd add a refurbished/clearance sub-store to the regular store.

4. dstrauss

Surface 3 Type Keyboard - I really hope that if MS does any upgrading/updating on the SPro 3 or SPro 4 they use the Surface 3 model keyboard - I don't know what they did, but much stiffer build and almost no key bounce when typing. A great improvement.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Well I sold off my TPY and now have a i7 SP3 with 256 ssd. All in with msft now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

One of the reasons I went with a single 32" display over multiple smaller displays was to help mitigate some of these issues. I had been following your posts on multiple monitors.

One question, because I may have missed something...

When I am docked, I disable the screen on my SP2. I use the HP Envy 32" connected via mDP as my primary display. I set the display scaling via "Control Panel | All Control Panel Items | Display" and configure "Change the size of all items" to 100%.

When I undock the SP2, I need to go back into that Control Panel setting and reset the setting to it's default 150% to make text on my undocked SP2 readable.

Is there something that I'm missing that sets display scaling appropriately when the device is docked and undocked?

I totally agree even more wholeheartedly, since my comparison was from Sp2->S3 which is an even bigger jump.

All of the keyboards are interchangeable. So as long as you're not sensitive to the size mismatch between an SP3 and an S3 keyboard, you could keep using your S3 keyboard and it'd all work.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You don't say.;)

Mesosphere, soh5 and JoeS like this.
  8. soh5

[​IMG] yup all hands on deck! Finished installing all the stuff I use on a daily basis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dstrauss

@b52hbuff

I just live with a compromise I guess. I set the scaling to one tick below the top, so the screen on the SPro 3 is pretty much ok (still a bit small) and stuff on the two WQHD screens is a bit too large. I can't wait to control each screen separately.

As for keyboards, I'm just going to stick with the "made for it" model as it is protection for my screen as mush as a keyboard.

10. soh5

I see what you did there. I owned a windows phone when they were first launched, I like the live tiles, but for a mobile platform I do prefer the iOS ecosystem, I am due for a new contract, will be looking closely at the Lumia 940 ("new flagship with N trig"). If there isnt a Lumia 940 in the near future (by sept), I will just go with iOS.

I will say this, the inking exp on the SP3 is a lot smoother than on the S3, but that may just be my imagination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.