Anyone Replace Their Laptop With Surface 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

We have discovered yet another talent of Dale Strauss' : a diplomat! Seriously, that was very well spoken and it is absolutely the case that we each live in very different worlds when it comes to needs for portability, needs for cpu/gpu power, needs for battery endurance and needs for keyboards that enable one to, oh, say, write unbearably long TPCR posts. :p

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that this thread's title, though it sounds like it invites people to answer "No" to it's basic query, seems to draw the majority of people who would answer, "yes, I have been able to use my Surface to eliminate my laptop."

I guess for me this represents a double challenge: 1) to accommodate to a vastly different form factor to complete tasks so long presumed to be the ideal province of the clamshell laptop and, 2) to have to change my laptop acquisition mania and possibly even change my handle from "Lovelaptops" (kind of goofy and have long considered doing so but immodesty makes me think LL has become something of a "brand" for me on NBR and TCPR)! As some may have noticed, though, I am looking to sell/retire most of my collection - in part because, though I use all but the Sony Z several times each week, I do feel it's a luxury I can afford to do without and (he admits sheepishly) I will use the proceeds of the sale to buy a spiffy new SP3/4 or S3! Then we'll see if I will find the same thing many of you have found: that you can use the Surface Type cover and it's unusual stand to type for hours on end on your lap (a need I succumbed to some time ago because a spine defect forces me to spend a good bit of my day on a sofa and the majority of my typing with my laptop on my lap). I suspect that doing so with the Surface is more likely possible and for relatively short stints at a time rather than remotely comparable to the experience of typing on a laptop in that position.

Once again, Dale, thanks for making a statement that would do a peacemaker (not that there has ever been acrimony that I have observed on TPCR, one of it's many attributes that makes it The Best Technology Forum on the Internet!:):):)

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I would say typing for hours on end is the ideal province of a desktop, with a quality desktop keyboard and mouse.

Unless...

... you have a medical need to work on the couch.

For me, my lap use is casual couch surfing or multitasking at a conference/meeting where I am unable to find a table. It is important enough to me that the SP1 was no good, but my S3 is suitable enough. If lap typing for hours on end was my usual working environment, I don't know if I'd choose the S3 (probably wouldn't). Either way I'd be very unhappy with being forced into that situation. A desktop keyboard and mouse with a nice desk and office chair is much better than any laptop IMO. I find ANY laptop (particularly in my lap) aggravating to work on compared to that.

Hence my computing importance totem pole of...

Servers > Desktop >= Tablet* > Phablet > Laptop

*arguably tied with the desktop.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You're not going to believe this, but I drive a 2011 Prius; my wife is a little less thrifty in her Highlander, but she had a Prius V before that. Believe it r not number 2 - my clients have never said a word about it. Remember, Texas is also a major leader in wind power as well.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Maybe we should rename the Houston Oilers to a more environmentally conscious name: Midvale (Dales favorite MSFT store location) Windmillers!

5. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Strauss, I share many of your desires and characteristics. When reading became difficult in contacts, I gave up and got digital progressive lenses. I'll sometimes use reading glasses and wear contacts.

I agree with your list of priorities, and for me the SP2 works well enough that I won't upgrade. I clearly think the SP3 would be superior for my uses, but not at the cost.

When the machines are docked, the differences would be indistinguishable. Undocked, the SP3 has a nicer screen and is easier to hold and lighter to carry around. But it isn't ~$2k nicer.

I'd have to replace my device, dock, and spare adapter. I'd lose the ability to charge in the car. Or I'd have to purchase a big enough inverter to use AC adapter.

I may even chicken out on SP4 if the cost benefit isn't favorable enough for me.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

“Old age ain't no place for sissies.”
    Bette Davis

Maybe we are all learning the secret meaning of "Betty Davis eyes..." One thought to keep in mind is the refurb market - Microsoft is selling refurbs on Amazon through "Dealfisher" which are huge bargains, with full one year Microsoft warranty. I snagged an SPro 3/i7/512gb for $1349 - a $600 haircut. It's on its way now s0 I'll report back if it is as good a deal as an Apple refurb.

Folks around here will tell you a lot of refurbs are the result of one forum member's proclivity to "test drive" items, but that ain't so...:eek:

Kumabjorn, soh5 and Bronsky like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It would be ironic if you got your own refurb.

gcoupe, Mesosphere, soh5 and 2 others like this.
  8. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

If I had to use a couch or recliner (easy chair of whatever stripe) instead of my desk, I'd simply get a comfy lap-desk for extended typing sessions. I type on my lap now on the couch without a lap-desk, but I don't have to do it for hours, so it's not a problem. All things considered, I prefer my SP3 over a laptop.

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

How badly does the i7 heat up? Didn't you have this model before going to the XPS 15?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Microsoft actually has their own store on Amazon, just did a purchase from them over the weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.