Anyone Replace Their Laptop With Surface 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Two questions:
    1) How do you all find this configuration for lap-ability? I live and work in cramped spaces, and I like to work a bit while my wife is driving (that way a trip to the beach doesn't mean I get a whole day behind on the article I'm working on or whatever).
    2) Why have/would you all choose the S3 over the SP3?
    Re: the Complete protection, I personally don't think I'd go that route, as there are plenty of other options offering full ADHD, no deductible. fwiw..

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have used the S3 as a passenger in my wife's car. With the 3rd position selected on the kickstand and the keyboard in the magnetized position, it is "serviceable."

I read the Surface warranty with ADC. Each covered claim does have a $50 deductible. Oddly, you get one defect claim and two accidental claims. If your unit fails twice, I guess you have to drop it out the window before taking it to the MS Store. I don't think they even try to fix it. Because they had no exchange units available to them when my M80TA got run over, MS just credited me the $$ to apply to the S3. I think with the S3, they would just give you a refurbished one.

As to question 2, I don't want a unit with a fan. I've only had one tablet with a fan, the original SP and wound up not keeping it. To own a fanless tablet, I have suffered through the Atom's evolution over the past five years from Z540, M2600, Z3740 to X7-Z8700 Atom.

HJK likes this.
  3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Bronsky I cannot wait for the next gen Atom devices, not because I need more processing power, but so we can perhaps get off the wanky, slow, clunky, eMMC storage. That is the true bottle neck in that device currently.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Much of this depends on your lap, I use both my SP3 and S3 on my lap (doing it as I type this).

One would chose the S3 if battery life, weight and size out weighs the need for laptop-esque power and performance. My S3 will last all day (8-12 hours) on battery able to take it from meeting to meeting where my SP3 if I'm careful under the same conditions last 6-7 hours.

I don't see Intel moving the ATOM SoC used for Tablets and Phones over to use SATA or PCIe from eMMC as it would further cannibalize the Core Line of SoC's....

HJK and Mesosphere like this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I echo pretty much all of @jnjroach's and @Bronsky's points.

Another factor for me is, how important is your "laptop" in your computing usage. For me my laptop is very much the sometimes necessary, but only occasionally needed device. I need my tablet every day for notes, reading, etc. I only need my laptop when I'm traveling and don't have access to my home or office desktops. I sometimes want a laptop if I feel like getting out of the office for a change of pace, but I don't do that often (I love my office). A dedicated laptop form factor certainly is better for laptop usage, but for how often I need it for my work it just isn't worth carrying around the extra device when the S3 can fill the role well enough.

For play, I like to use a laptop while kicking back on my recliner, but for the types of things I do in that time, I really don't find myself missing my T904. The bigger screen was more useful for productivity than couch surfing, and I really find lap use to be quite good on the S3... I was one of the most vocal critics of the Surface's lines lap-ability after I decided to ditch my SP1, but the S3 really has changed my mind. I find it works really well in my lap... particularly in my most frequent lap use case (my La-Z-Boy). Maybe it is just my imagination, but I've spent a healthly amount of time playing with the SP3 (my friend has one), and I don't know what it is that does it (maybe the lighter device or a better keyboard to device weight ratio?), but I find the S3 more comfortable in lap use compared to the SP3.

HJK likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think it is the keyboard. To me, it seems "more solid" and their is less bounce/give when typing. That's why I've said I hope they add the S3 keyboard quality to the new keyboards for the SPro 4.

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. HJK

Well, since I'm looking to rearrange cell phone configurations anyway, the ATT deal of $200 off an S3 with the purchase of a Windows phone looks *almost* "handsome enough to entice me" (quoth Darcy); but not quite. First of all, the only Windows phone options are middling, even compared with some of the Lumias AT&T used to carry. But more problematic is the fact that AT&T does not carry the 4 GB/128 GB version.

8. HJK

It seems that MS is carrying forward their grand tradition of failing to connect with wireless carriers and their customers in such a way as to actually gain traction in the popular mobile market. I guess most people who pick up a tablet through a mobile carrier are looking for something they can play Angry Birds on and have their calls forwarded to, that sort of thing--and maybe to get some iToy status symbol while they are at it (though I'm a bit non-plussed as to why you would want such a device on your mobile plan; but I guess I'm a weird-o). So, AT&T probably looks at the S3 as a iPad rival (and, as we all know, Windows tablets aren't good iPad rivals if all you want is an iToy), and they probably look at the 4/128 model and say, "Meh; no one will buy that one. We'll just carry the marketable toy version."
    But at least a mobile carrier now has something that isn't running RT. That's a sign of progress, right?

9. LVM

LVM Pen Pal - Newbie

This case makes narrows the gap on lap-ability.

For what its worth I did a little research for our office in picking case options. Even though this is a "One Drop" case IE you get one drop and then have to get a new one, it is not terribly expensive and the added ability to use the SP3 kickstand while in the case actually lets you use it as a serviceable "hard shell" laptop.

Here is the version for the Surface 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.