Anyone Replace Their Laptop With Surface 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've been using 2 Surface Devices for a long time....I use multi-mouse software like Mouse without Boarders to use on mouse and keyboard as well as a shared clipboard. I really don't worry about looking weird....

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...at times my keyboard slows to a crawl (being 20-30 letters behind my horribly slow typing). Anyone else experience that?...>>

Yes. I complained to the site Admins a couple of months ago about it, but you can see that nothing has changed. I'm inclined to think that it's a XenForo problem (because we didn't have this problem with vBulletin), not a problem with any of our computers...

Mesosphere and Kumabjorn like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You KNOW the answer to your own question - any device without the fruit ninja emblazoned on it, looks weird to the crowd at any coffee shop...:p

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Agreed (it is an XenForo problem). If my 95W Quad Core 4GHz i7 sometimes struggles (much less extreme, but occasionally noticeable), it is a software issue.

As much as I frequent this site, I'm not going to let inefficient forum software dictate my CPU needs. I can always use tapatalk or Word + Copy/Paste when it gets bad.

5. dstrauss

I don't know guys. Since switching back to the SPro 3 i7, I haven't had the keyboard crawl happen again (knocking on wood)...it has been as smooth as always on scrolling and keyboard entry.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Since switching back to the SPro 3 i7, I haven't had the keyboard crawl happen again...>>

But then you still have to explain why no one ever saw this problem when we were using vBulletin software...???

7. Mesosphere

What I'm talking about on my desktop is far less extreme. The text never falls behind my fingers or anything like that. I'm talking tiny fractions of a second that I can just barely perceive on my desktop vs. on my S3 it can be several words behind my fingers.

In both cases though it is a low frequency occurrence (S3 extreme lag and barely perceivable desktop lag). On the S3 though, there is often a slight lag for text input here.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I see it on my S3, but with my Broadwell NUC w/ i3 & 4gb of ram, I don't see it at all, nor the computer at work, which is a desktop i3(540). I think it is something on the software side for the forum, but I also think it could be a browser and/or OS thing? My S3 is the only device with 8.1 and using Modern IE(battery life reasons), while my NUC is running Linux w/ Chrome beta and pc at work is running W7 w/ Firefox.

9. dstrauss

I guess old eyes are not as perceptive as you young pups - on my SPro 3 it's just not an issue.

10. Mesosphere

I wouldn't call it an "issue". I'm used to working over remote connections (NoMachine, RDP), so I'm pretty tolerant of the slight sub second delays (I notice them but they don't bother me). I just think the fact that it is even noticeable on a machine as fast as my desktop indicates a problem with the forum software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.