Anyone Replace Their Laptop With Surface 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ha ha ha - I admit my sins in my signature...the replacement SPro 3 (i7/512gb) is already up and running - and it does have a healthy fan; but I attribute that to indexing and other background services at moment - we'll see in a few days - but you have all tagged me correctly - Tim Taylor to the max. However, from what I've been following here, there are going to be a good number of you well served by the S3 (especially 4gb/128gb model). Enjoy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is there any confirmation it will have N-Trig? I've got a lot invested in iOS but have to admit this would turn my head...

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Well its all speculation, at least from the information that I have gathered from the Nokia 940 thread.

Which makes me highly speculative of this point. If that pen is going to have N-Trig pen support, will this mean that there is going to be a pen that can be stowed away like the pen on the galaxy note phones? Does this mean MSFT and Nokia have found a setup in which they can provide a pen solution that can be stored?

This would be an amazing break through and I wonder if it would be integrated into the Surface Pro 4 scheme...

3. Malberttoo

Malberttoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly I can't see how it could be done on a Surface device. The Surfaces will get thinner and thinner, but the pen, if it is to remain seriously usable, will have to stay at its current thickness. It was easy to make a pen silo on the old fat laptops/ Tablet PC's, but on the Surfaces, I just can't see how it could be done.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You could make the pen a rechargeable model and forego the internal battery.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

They even have their rechargeable pen on their main product page next to their Duo Sense 2 pen(which I think may now be discontinued).

7. soh5

Got a legit question for you guys. I do a lot of writing and note taking. Having drawboard or any PDF viewer in split screen mode with Onenote makes it really annoying to takes notes on. Essentially, I am asking is this...

I do most of my work now at coffee shops when I do not have any experiments to run. Would it look weird to have both the SP3 (my note taker) and S3 PDF Viewer/"text" book out at the same time? I am wondering if this is where a 8" tablet would come in handy.

What do you guys think? After a week using my SP3, I am sold on this form factor for my daily driver. Do you guys know of any solutions to my problem?

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I do this all the time....

soh5 likes this.
  9. soh5

Jeff, you work with both the S3 and SP3 to enhance your workflow? Side by side I am assuming? Do people think you're weird having 2 surfaces next to each other LOL?

I have looked into portable monitors which hook up into your mini display port, which is an option, but those solutions cost just as much as a surface 3 or a high end ipad or android tablet. Having both the pc (SP3) and the tablet use the same pen tech would be a real bonus. (I am holding on to my iphone 5 for as long as I can till the 940XL becomes a reality...)

I thought it might look weird to some people at a cafe while I am working, but honestly don't care as long as I am getting quality work done.

10. soh5

According to the 940/940XL thread, its supposed to have native pen support, and according to Jeff Roach, N-Trig pen support is highly likely.

I have a lot invested into iOS as well, I've been on this platform for a while, but with apple charging a premium for local storage with NO expandability (No I dont want to eat up precious data looking up things from the cloud ALL the time), lack of pen support, its going to be this phone OR the updated SAMMY GALAXY NOTE (hope that comes soon).

I hardly use apps, since I do most everything from the browser, and Windows 10 should fix a lot of parity issues as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.