Anyone Replace Their Laptop With Surface 3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've been slogging through reams of posts in the Surface 3 thread, so I may have missed it, but I am wondering if anyone has replaced their laptop (even desktop) with a Surface 3. I don't mean you video/photo crunching, AutoCAD/Adobe gurus, nor gaming animals - I'm talking just to the Office productivity clan, that surfs to the max and dabbles on occasion in photo software.

I know you guys are tired of my unending quest, but despite liking the raw power (and nearly 16" screen) of my Dell XPS 15, in my heart I still relish that one-two punch of a computing device and smartphone. [PS - I have changed my avatar to more accurately reflect my persona; still very much "Comic Relief" though]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Replace and replace, but my old laptop now does singular duty as window to the internet whereas productivity is on the Surface.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I feel like I'm responding to a stranger...

Regarding laptop replacement, I did. Most of my work is done on desktops though. My "laptop" use is mostly couch surfing and business travel. It definitely performs adequately so far for powerpoint at least. Anything else and I'm using my servers remotely, but my guess is you don't do a lot of heavy number crunching type tasks in your work =P

Personally, if my "laptop" was my main computer, the S3 wouldn't be enough for me, but my laptop is my third computer on the totem pole of importance (maybe even 5th; server > desktop~= tablet > phone > laptop).

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I did! The X301 is gone. I consolidated from the X301/M80TA/Nokia 928 to an S3/Nokia 928. The 928 will be replaced either with a Lumia 940XL or a Samsung Note 4/5, depending on how the Lumia is equipped. With an external display and great Lenovo keyboard, I have a 1080p/antiglare 21.5" desktop powered solely by the S3 in a dock. The S3 is all she wrote on the road.

To be honest, I'm not sure you would be happy with the S3. I would think that a Core M would be a minimal processor for you, given your proclivities.

As far as your unending quest?

"Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!”
    Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

HJK and HeavyHanded like this.
  5. dstrauss

I knew my buddies would come to the rescue....

Kuma - thanks for the confirmation...

Meso - ain't no stranger than I usually is...

Bronsky - you are my shining knight (ha ha) and your solution is an inspiration. Not to rehash, but my old eyes love the 15" screen, but the new glasses (replacing contacts) has helped immensely. I think it may be irreconcilable - my desire for the lightest weight "practical" system vs the desire for "more power" and max local storage (I have 1/2 of the 512gb on this Dell XPS 15 full, but that's also a lot of fluff and garbage). I've even contemplated just moving up to the 512gb SPro 3 for now. It's like the little struggles that should really count - when on the Asus away from my desk, I don't have my Favorites coordinated for a quick web search, or that one "document" we are discussing in the meeting. I can't seem to just make my note taker be a note taker only.

By the way, are "proclivities" a communicable disease? (See the rest of the quote)...

“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!”
    Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Bronsky likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Hey Bronsky -

Does your setup let you keep something like your calendar or IE/Chrome open on the S3 while editing a couple of documents on the big screen? I think that needs to be my benchmark, as I could pare down to one DP monitor at office and take the other one home (having two 27" screens is pretty much a luxury - rarely use both at same time as long as I can use Westlaw while editing documents).

I'm really impressed that you retired the X301, which has been one heck of a workhorse for you. My scrambled thought process is why not try while waiting for the Unicorn (I mean SPro 4).

Dale

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My typical use is with two documents open on the 21.5" display. I like to use an annotated case or scanned evidence and a brief in production so I can insert the language I want into the brief. I keep outlook and Drawboard open on the S3. Outlook keeps me up to date with the emails and my calendar, which is updated by my secretary and updated on my S3 by her. I also track my time on Drawboard using a PDF timesheet.

[​IMG]

BTW, there has been some question about the ability to write on the Surface in its dock. It took some getting used to but I can at least keep my time. And, yes, I am representing Jack against Jill in a domestic situation arising from Jack's crown being broken during a trip up the hill with his girlfriend Jill. (a/k/a I didn't want to write an actual time entry).

cmergel likes this.
  8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Who is this imposter?

Bronsky likes this.
  9. dstrauss

It is I (Proximo), sporting my hidden identity (and believe it or not, tiring of the flip flops). I am trying to decide whether to hit the "Buy" button on a Best Buy Surface 3 128gb (dock and accessories on nice sales) or an Amazon Surface Pro 3 512gb refurb...

Sometimes I hate myself...no I don't...yes I do...no...yes...

Thanks Bronsky - I can't see why it wouldn't do the same for me - guess my inner Toolman keeps saying "more power" but my (semi)rational Jim Seymour side says "this is good"

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I'm rethinking the whole surface line myself. I want to be all in with an ecosystem. Dock/pen etc... The thinkpad yoga 14 has finally come with the pen. It's erase functionality doesn't work in the desktop app. Stuff like this makes me marvel at apple and msft because their products just work. I'm thinking long and hard about what to go with long term now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.