Anyone installed Linux on their X61t?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by PrimitiveWall, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimitiveWall

PrimitiveWall Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, so now a different issue... I don't have the Lenovo base, so I'm trying to install Ubuntu using the netboot method. No luck: the GRUB menu won't come up at all, and it loads straight into Windows. Suggestions? I've tried alternating between (hd0,0) and (hd0,1) in the menu.lst file. Also, my c:\boot directory already existed, and it was actually "c:\Boot". Might GRUB be case-sensitive?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. ShadowJester

ShadowJester I am that is.

GRUB is definitely case-sensitive. All of *nix is, AFAIK.

3. PrimitiveWall

FYI, this link pretty much nails how to install the LiveCD on a flash drive.

ETA: Run the LiveCD with the "floppy.floppy=thinkpad" option.

4. ShadowJester

Quick question for anyone running Linux on their X60t or X61t with multi-touch: can you get the tablet to respond to the stylus or does it not work at all?

5. PrimitiveWall

I worked on this all night, using both the default wacom-tools and the XP instructions outlined here for the X60t. No luck. The stylus never worked. I'm really afraid that the MV/MT compatibility problem in Linux extends to the digitizer pen and that we won't see a solution soon.

I threw in the towel at that point, uninstalled Linux, and FIXMBRed my way back to Vista-only. If I can't get either WiFi or the digitizer pen to work easily, then there's no point. I paid for a tablet. Although, it was nice to see the Ubuntu logo on my ThinkPad :) Maybe I'll try again in a few months after a few more-computer-savvy pioneers try their hand at the X61t.

As I said before, if you have another computer handy with Linux, use this resource to load the Ubuntu LiveCD onto a USB Flash drive. It worked flawlessly for me.

Also, and this is important, before you begin installing Linux, go into the BIOS (F12 at startup, then select "Setup") and change the SATA settings from "AHCI" to "Compatibility". Otherwise, Linux will hang up on the Lenovo hardware.

6. ShadowJester

Such a shame that Ubuntu won't work on the MV/MT display...maybe they'll have the support in Gutsy? We can only hope.

7. MikeRoz

MikeRoz Pen Pal - Newbie

For my part, I tried using Linux more than once on my M200. As a notebook, it worked great. However, there is no equal for OneNote or even Journal on that platform. The offerings that exist simply aren't polished enough.

Vista should fill my needs rather nicely.

8. PrimitiveWall

Did you try Xournal or any of the OneNote alternatives for Linux? What'd you think?

9. MikeRoz

MikeRoz Pen Pal - Newbie

I used Xournal as a note-taking application for some time. As I said, I did not find it nearly as polished as Journal, though the save-to-PDF was nice.

As for OneNote alternatives, I didn't find any with enough features to deserve the name.

10. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

So I tried installing Ubuntu Feisty Fawn on my x61t and as a laptop it seems to be working fine. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the tablet functionality to work at all yet. Sites for the x60t and linux say that the stylus should work out of the box, but it doesn't for me. I have the MV/MT and not sure if that is causing the additional problems (neither touch nor the stylus work), but I was wondering if anyone here has been able to get it to work.

Also, my sound doesn't seem to be working in Linux. Anyone else have that problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.