Anyone hack a 500gb hard drive into the T100 keyboard yet?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by spinedoc77, Apr 9, 2014.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I see there is a model of the T100 which comes with a keyboard which has a 500gb drive. In the US I can only find it with the 32gb HD on the tablet itself, not the 64gb I want. So I purchased the regular 64gb T100 with the non hard drive keyboard.

I was wondering since the keyboard has a USB slot if anyone has opened it up and installed a 500gb hard drive? What's the chances that a hard drive would just drop in? Alternatively has anyone found where you can order the keyboard with hard drive separately?

2. MicroByte

MicroByte Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the 64GB which was passed on to my son and bought the 32GB+500GB keyboard dock.

It's not possible. The 500GB keyboard is physically thicker than the normal keyboard to accommodate the additional hard drive size.

3. Elizucas

Elizucas Pen Pal - Newbie

MicroByte is correct, the KB with the hard drive is physically thicker so modification isn't an option. The connection hardware on both KBs is the same. I managed to hook the 500gb KB up to my 64gb Asus t100 and it was recognized, the hard drive showed up and the mouse works, but when I tried to type with the new keyboard:

5t ca0e 64t 36625ng 352e th5s = it came out looking like this

So, the alternate KB physically hooks up with no problem, but there seems to be software issues. Anyone have any ides of how to correct this?

P.S. Also, to answer your second question, buying the 500gb KB by itself doesn't seem to be an option, I only acquired the 500gb KB because my office uses these tablets out in the field where we don't need the KB, so when my office recently got a new tablet I swapped the KB to use the 500gb with my personal 64gb tablet.

Update:

After playing around with it I found that the 500gb KB works with my 64gb tablet on a different username, but despite all my efforts won't work on my username. There must be a setting in my account that's causing the error, but at least it does work with the 64gb tablet!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. bobexample

bobexample Pen Pal - Newbie

@Elizucas

5t ca0e 64t 36625ng 352e th5s = it came out looking like this

You have NumLock on. Turn it off and your keyboard should operate normally.

5. HdNote8

HdNote8 creative technical writing

classic !

6. fiache

fiache Pen Pal - Newbie

Type this into Notepad:

set WshShell = CreateObject("wScript.Shell")
    WshShell.SendKeys "{NUMLOCK}"

Save on the desktop with a ".vbs" extension. It will toggle the NumLock Key.