Anyone got android x86 working?

Discussion in 'Software' started by FC1032, Nov 5, 2010.

1. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi!

This morning I began mucking around with an android emulator (instructions found here). I managed to get it working nicely and it current works well on my tablet screen here's a pic!:

[​IMG]

Things that do work:
    * Since the emulator registers your mouse as touch, the touch is working fine. I can swipe to move to different homescreens, scroll down lists etc...
    * The Wi-fi works, I'd assume its just using the settings found on windows
    * It also scales to full screen size in portrait :) So much more touch friendly than windows!

Things that don't work so well:
    * There is some lag, but this is probably due to running it along side windows
    * There are NO GAPPS. So I cannot download apps from the market directly, nor can i use gmail and google calendar. I've been installing apks from the net and that seems to work fine (though not all apps I want or need have apks)
    * This is Android 2.2 I'm emulating, Gapps are ok with Android 1.6/1.5 I believe.

So now that I've had a run with android on my tablet, I think its ok to use everyday since most of the time I'm just doing the basics (pdf reading, browsing and a few android games :) )

Now, I'd like to actually install/dual boot android. I know there is android x86, but has anyone got it working? Can you share your experiences?

I've read that its worked on a few different devices (even a macbook!), but the only x86 tablet that is supported so far is the Asus T91 (i.e the touchscreen works)

EDIT: I cut the screen resolution down to half and scaled it to full screen and now there is considerably less lag. I wish i could have this as my permanent OS!

EDIT EDIT: Managed to get android market on it, but for some reason its not showing all the apps, just some (mostly apps I don't use :( ), got most Gapps, but Gmail doesn't work... It seems to be unable to detect my location too. For offline use it seems ok :)

EDIT EDIT EDIT :p : In case you were curious, I did the something similar as here.

But I (stupidly) actually installed all the apks in the gapps file I found on cyanogen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. FC1032

3. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

does multitouch work?

4. FC1032

my Toshiba doesn't support multitouch by default, so I was unable to test pinch to zoom actions in the emulator.

Perhaps you'll need to wait for someone both a multitouch capable tablet tests it.

5. Trovatore

Trovatore Pen Pal - Newbie

Why did you just tried it inside an emulator? What about a dual-boot windows/androidx86 solution? have you tried it on your tablet pc?

6. FC1032

The android x86 solutions don't work for me, it won't load properly. So I can't even install it.

7. Trovatore

I see. That's a pity!
    And how much resoureces (CPU and RAM) does the emulator require? Is it like a virtual machine on virtualbox?

8. FC1032

Yes, its a pity :(, but then again the x86 versions are only on android 1.6 I think. On the emulator, we already have honeycomb to play with (although alittle laggy)

I'll need to run the emulator to give you some exact numbers, but I can tell you the emulator is intensive as I need to run it on high performance mode to get it running fine and smoothly.

9. Trovatore

I read that the x86 android 2.2 has just been released: ReleaseNote 2.2 - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

No need to know exact numbers. Just to have an idea. Your M750 is a recent tablet and i have a lenovo x200t with a core2solo processor so i think that i would struggle a little more to get the emulator work properly :)

10. FC1032

Thanks for the heads up, :) I haven't checked the x86 project for a while, hopefully this new one supports my m750. I'll see how the new version goes and report back.

As for the emulator, I think the best way to make it run better is to lower the screen resolution and give it more ram.