Anyone experience drawing/ animating with Core M devices (photoshop, Toon Boom Harmony, ...) ?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by donbartolo, Dec 7, 2015.

1. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to all!

My Samsung Ativ Smart PC pro 700T (4 GB ram / Core i5-3317U / 1.7 GHz / EMR wacom digitizer 1024 levels) is dying and i look for a replacement.

I don't need more horsepower than this Ativ but certainly not less. I just need a tablet that runs as smoothly Toon boom Harmony and Photoshop as a Core i5-3317U @ full power or balanced mode (not power saving mode, it's too laggy!).

It will be a tablet only used for drawing and animating (2d) on this 2 softwares.

I am very interested in the Toshiba Portege z20t (matt screen 1920 x 1080, wacom EMR 2048 levels ) but i don't know if the Core M 5y71 -with its turbo boost- can be as good as my actual tablet.

Anyone some experience with this tablet or a similar core M device for running Toon Boom Harmony and Photoshop?

This is the kind of stuff i make.

Thx forwardly :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Hi Don,
    Although I've not used a Core M, I'm curious to see if others have. My advice- change the title to make the post about using a Core M for art, and not so specifically about using the z20t, which I'm sure very few people have done. You'll get more input if you broaden the scope a bit. Good luck! I'll be reading the responses.

3. donbartolo

Done ;)

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe this will give you something to consider:

5. donbartolo

Many thanks for the feedback Mr. Boosh. This video is very interesting and is for sure a good start to have an idea. I suppose that there will be no concern with the core m processor for short power boosts, but how can it handle drawing sessions?

Here a few exemples of the type feedback i really hope to have (of course i don't expect the same drawing skills from the artists that will answer, it's just to have an idea of what i have in mind concerning the use of the drawing tools ):

Photoshop / 300 dpi document / a4 format:

Toon Boom Harmony / 1920 x 1080 document :

Is it possible to maintain this kind of quality during 1 hour without lagging/ overheating the system?
    A core i5-3317 from a tablet device does it pretty well. If a core M can do the same as this old processor, it's cool for me. :3

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    darkmagistric likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't run Toon Boom on the Core M3 Surface Pro 4 yet, but I don't think you'll have any trouble getting that level of responsiveness out of this tablet at least. So far, I haven't missed my SP3 i5 performance at all.

The Photoshop video you shared is a very interesting sketching technique but it's ultimately a very simple file.

7. donbartolo

If it can handle this kind of simple tasks perfectly (= without lagging when drawing) during an hour or two, this would be perfect.
    But for exemple: the Core i5-3317U can't in economic mode. I see clearly lagging when drawing. I can even see it sometimes in balanced mode.

So let's say that the economic mode of my I5 runs @ 0.8 Ghz, and the full power @ 1.7Ghz
    If the Portege stays @ 1.2Ghz, it will be closer to the eonomic mode than the full power mode. That's the reason why i wonder if it can keep the pace over time for "simple tasks".

I understood it can boost with one core. But how does the boost handle an hour of fast drawing on Photoshop? (i sketch pretty fast)
    Don't you see some lagging every time it starts too boost when you are making strokes?

And even if it works well when boosting with one core, is it possible to listen music in the mean time? Or will the boost been cancelled and drop back at 1.2 Ghz in Photoshop?

Sorry, i am no tech. This processor is just a mystery to me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

can i hook up my coreM Surface pro4 with a cintiq 13 pro, and expect good performance for note taking in onenote App? i am hoping OneNote should be much less resource hungry than a dedicated art software?

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sure, but why not just ink with your Surface Pro 4? It works fine for OneNote. I have a similar setup with one of my Surface Pro 3s, but it's "permanently" docked to a 22-inch Huion pen display.

10. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

it fell from the edge of my bed last year, and though the touch works but pen input is absent now. Microsoft's repair is too costly for me to justify. i didn't know that display damage wasn't covered in the warranty and at the time there was no extended warranty or comprehensive care being offered, that i could have bought along with it.

I am no longer going to classes, so i don't really need the mobility that SP4 offers. But it does have a Windows 10, OneNote, Nebo and Drawboard. Which i believe will work really well with a cintiq. I never really was very satisfied with pen performance of SP4 - the pressure curves are beautiful, but it's IAF is really not as feather light as a cintiq. IAF is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

i am not very sure about how well iPadpro and iOS will work fr me without a mouse. But i am sure that Surface or not I will be buying some windows pc tower in future for games. Cintiq should work great on that machine.

A busted SP4 + Cintiq 13 pro, doesn't make much sense now and definitely not an ideal solution, but i think it will workout fr me in the end.

So, if CoreM can handle a cintiq 13 pro, i would very much like to get one.