Anyone else have constant 30%+ CPU usage with WLAN Autoconfig on Win10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve B, Mar 1, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for those insights, Steve. I'm having very similar problems with a Toshiba Z20t-B. Replacing the battery(s) did wonders, without having dealt with the Svchosts or WLANconfigs. On the latter, I wonder if you might do well to consider replacing/updating your wifi card. That's cheap and easy in your unit (not so much in mine) and I have read many postings in other forums about Windows 10/wifi problems being resolved even by just replacing with like card, or say going from Intel to Killer. For under $100 I'm willing to bet the change out of those 2 items (battery & wifi card) may make you feel like you have a new device, even if Task Manager doesn't fully bear that out.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Changing the wifi card has occurred to me too. It's just that it's a bit of work, and I'm often feeling more time constraints, where I need to use the computer instead of repair it. :p But I hear you. May investigate as well. This one makes the most direct sense.

However, I've not heard anyone mention the battery before in my google attempts. Since I'm considering updating it anyways, because of wear, that would be a wonderful synergy if it's true. What's your sense for the reason this would alter the way the wifi system is working? Not denying your experience, I just don't know enough to understand it.

Thank you for additional helpful input!

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I mentioned the battery primarily because you mentioned concerns with yours. I'm not suggesting it will improve cpu or RAM utilization, just that getting a new battery is relatively inexpensive and will ameliorate the operational issues' drain on your battery life. As for the wifi card, they're usually pretty easy to change in a TP.

I have to both sympathize and laugh with you re: no time to work *on* the computer because there's not enough time for the work *with* it! About 10 yrs ago when I joined this forum and Notebookreview I had never opened a computer nor edited a registry and I learned whatever I now know about hdwe/sftwe mods from these forums and came to reallly enjoy the "craft" of it. These days I seem to get small anxiety attacks when any of my gear is acting up (or those of my family, for whom I've become "IT guy!") because what had been fun for a while seems like a time-wasting chore now. It will probably get fun again when I retire .

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Steve B likes this.