Anyone else have constant 30%+ CPU usage with WLAN Autoconfig on Win10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve B, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I know this isn't a super-technical website, but I thought I'd check with others. I'm running Win 10 Anniversary Edition on my Thinkpad 14. When I bought it, things were fine, but after the anniversary edition, I've had some odd stuff going on.

#1 is that my CPU pretty much hovers around 40-50% usage if I'm online. This seems crazily high, given that I only have a couple of tabs open. The "Service Host- Local System" is the culprit at about 30-35%, all the time. "Intel PROSet/Wireless Zero Configure Service" is the other 3-5%. I can't get the thing to idle at a low %, and it pretty clearly affects the smooth running of the device.

#2 is that it intermittently drops wifi now, whereas it used to never do it. It also almost never connects to wifi automatically after waking up from sleep. As the two issues are about wifi, I thought they might be connected.

Anyone else have this problem? Or have any input on how I can resolve it? Currently, 40% CPU usage __is__ idling.!!!! It would be nice to get the device back to the way I had it when I bought it.

2. messiah

messiah Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows 10 has problems with many wireless cards. It's a driver issue. The manufacturers have not updated their drivers for wireless cards to work with Windows 10. Some of the issues can be solved by disabling certain options in the Os or by using different older or newer versions of drivers.

I had such issues and reverted back to Windows 7.

That's the best solution for old systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Steve B

Anybody else got any input on this? I'm definitely not going back to Win7. So that's out. Was considering doing a fresh install, but would rather have a simpler answer if possible.

4. messiah

Well u need to check the wireless components in your comp hasv drivers which work properly in Windows 10.

They don't have to be Windows 10 specific drivers. If others are having the same problem as u did , chances are that your has hardware isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Get a USB wireless dongle then.

5. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had to do this even with my Surface Pro 1 in the early days of Windows 8 and Marvel issues. Netgear and others make tiny USB WiFi devices that work well.

Used the thing pretty regular until firmware and patches finally got ironed out.

6. Steve B

Well, I hadn't thought to try updating things manually in the Device Manager, and after doing so, and rebooting, I seem to have dramatically improved things. I now idle right around 1%. Yay! Battery life seems quite improved as well. Thanks so much everyone for your help on that. :)

Next up is Ram use. This also hovers around 25-30% at idle. Is that normal for Win 10? That's like 2 gb of ram just to run the OS. That seems a little heavy. ???

7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

8. messiah

That's OK ......

9. Steve B

Ok, got you guys. Hadn't really thought of Ram that way. In the process of this discussion, I did a power report through Windows. Found out my Thinkpad has only about 2/3 of the battery left. Ugh. I've had it for only about 15 months. Might be exploring replacing the battery, as I'm capping out at about 4 hours battery life right now. I'll move to a Thinkpad 14 specific thread for that though.

Thanks very much for the help. What surprised me though was that drivers weren't updated through Lenovo or through Windows. When I looked at the Device Manager, there was not visual notification that the driver was out of date either. Never would have thought to check.

10. Steve B

Just to follow up on this escapade, every time I think I've got it under control (and I do), I get another Windows Update, and it throws things back out of wack. Check Task Manager. And yep- SVChost and the WLAN Config is back up to 30-40% cpu as a baseline usage rate, which does quite a number on battery life. I can also tell because the (very pleasantly quiet) fans start running alot again, even though I'm not doing much. Sun I run Lenovo Companion, get some updates. Nope. Then I go back to Intel Driver Updates. This time I actually downloaded the utility, because it's been the issue over and over again. Get a new Bluetooth and Intel Wifi Update. Bingo! Back to normal again.

I don't quite know why this happens so often, but it does. I'm surprised these Intel updates aren't included in the Windows Update process. When I go into the Device Manager and manually ask for an update, they're also not found. When I go to Lenovo and get updates, they're also not found- or what is found doesn't solve the problem anyways. That last one doesn't surprise me much though...

Still, I'm surprised I haven't seen other people complain about this, because the problem is so insistent for me. I wonder a bit if others are simply living with less battery life than they could be getting, and presume it's normal (because this definitely improve battery life for, for sure), or if it has something to do with my setup. Anyways, I just wanted to share that the answer has always been to go to Intel Update and look for what's new.