Anyone else excited about Cityman?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm curious, for your 950/XL folks - one of the bugs I've monitored around Windows 10 Mobile, is that the camera is only recording video in Mono. When the 830/930/1520 all have superb stereo video mics, this seems like it could be quite troubling, and has kept me from trying 10 on my 930, despite being a sucker for Insider.

So does the 950/XL record in Mono or Stereo?

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

No sual sims available here. Microsoft in its infinite wisdom decided we don't need it (most European countries get dual sims, we only get the single sim).

When I first picked it up, I wondered if I still had to put the battery in. It sounded empty indeed :p. But that problem, and sharp edges (didn't notice those though) have been solved with adding a bumper case to it. I think it feels too thin to use without one!

Never used it, and from the sounds of it, I'll probably never will either. It sounds like a battery drain with my use of the phone (mostly in my bag).

It only blocks the text, you will still log in with Hello. And I think I saw an option somewhere about turning on when being placed on the charger, but for the life of me, I can't remember where!

I use the Freda app for my books, but I can put that app in fullscreen modus. And the buttons will disappear then. I don't know the Kindle app (never use it) but doesn't it have the same option?

And Cortana is not available where I live, so anything Cortana is a no go anyway.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I purchased the Mozo Brown Leather Back for my 950 XL and it transforms the feel of the phone.

Also Windows Hello works really for me, love that aspect on it and on my SP4....

4. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

So used to the double tap and glance that it is a must have.

5. Sweetpea8472

I was thinking about that, but I'm not sure anymore, due to that metallic painted border... If that metallic paint rubs off, it will look really cheap. So I went for a bumper case.

And that Windows Hello is awesome, I first thought I'd never use it, but even within a week I'd really miss it if I didn't have it anymore :D

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

According to Mozo, the Metal Coating is a non-magnetic metallic that is bonded to Polycarbonate...we'll see :)

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'd say it's likely we'll get a pen. Panos has be waxing poetic (?) about his Surface mini, and the Surface Phone Maxi could take that role.

In other news, and unrelated to the prospect of the Surface Phone late 2016, I'm this close to returning the 950XL. My unit has some bluetooth issues, call quality issues, battery life issues, and heating issues while on the charger. Plus it doesn't support visual voicemail. I suspect these will be ironed out, but not before the end of the return period. Adding insult to injury, it looks like MS Complete on phones now only allows one device replacement, and they raised the deductible from $49 to $99 especially for Lumia 950 buyers (or rather, for all 'expensive phone buyers' starting Black Friday). Gee, thanks!

So given that I'm not really happy, I might as well return it and maybe get it again once the price drops, MS Complete comes back to being competitive with Apple and Google's coverage options (two incidents), and once the firmware and OS bugs have been sorted out. By which time it's probably time for the Surface Phone. :D

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Sweetpea8472

Two of the things you mention (MS Complete? visual voicemail?) I've no idea what they are so I don't miss them, but what are your problem with bluetooth, battery life and heating? (I hardly make voice calls at all, that's not why I have a smartphone, so I've no idea how it sounds)

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

MS Complete = you drop and break the phone, you get a new one. Plus warranty for two years instead of one.
    VVM = visible playlist of calls with fast forward scub bar.

Bluetooth: slow to connect, sometimes stuck in a connect-disconnect funk in my car (never happened with the L1520)
    Battery life: even after three days the phone would get warm during the day and battery capacity drops to 20-30% by 6pm despite relatively little use. WP battery info only shows battery stats for the past 24h, so you can't see which app is killing the batter in the past hour.
    Heating issue: I have some Qi chargers from the Lumia 920 days. Leaving the 950XL on one of these overnight, in the morning the phone will come off the charger quite hot (not painful, but way hotter than during normal use), and not even fully charge, sitting e.g. at 80%. Seems like something is draining fast while the Qi plate is trying to charge, or the charging is just really inefficient and just heating up the phone. I can't tell which one.

You didn't ask about call quality, but to others I sounded like on speaker phone, and they heard an echo (I didn't). That's actually the one that concerns me the most, followed by battery life which I hope software updates can improve.

Summary: it's close to being workable, but I'm prepared to return it unless I read about some active fixes to these issues. I really do like the phone otherwise, Windows Hello works really great for me, camera is super fast and amazing quality, and performance all around is snappy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.