Anyone else excited about Cityman?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Shame that the 950's getting a beating in the reviews. I'm also thinking that The Verge didn't even bother finding out that the camera, amongst other things, is supposedly pretty good.

I'm cancelling my pre-order until it's hit the U.K. Not spending that amount of cash especially if there's another top end phone rumoured.

To cancel an order, over here in the U.K., is annoying. Why can't we cancel on the web MS?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yea. I turned all that off.

3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Gonna get the 64gb GN5 on friday in the hopes that ATT will offer some sort of black friday type of savings. We will see.

As much as I love Windows Hello on my surface book... There are a few apps that I enjoy using (Chase banking and Starbucks, pls dont chide me on my coffee choice) and it just looks like there is going to be 0 support from banks or other major institutions.

Could care less about facebook/instagram etc... I do not want to use microsoft edge to do that (considering its the only option) on the WP10 platform. The add insult to injury they dont even have a pen ready to go. That at least would have kept me in the WP10 ecosystem.

Good bye iOS (iP5) and its 4 hour battery life. This aging piece of crap is going in the recycling program once my Note 5 comes.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This thread should be called "What are you getting instead of the Lumia 950" :D

dellaster, Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.
  5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't get the Lumia 950, I got the Lumia 950 XL :D

I love it. Simple as that. Even after only playing with it a few hours.

Looks: completely subjective. I loved the looks of my 920, some hated it. I like the look of this 950, it's mostly square, the corners aren't as rounded as the Note. But, as I said, it's completely subjective, I like square corners...

Feeling: It feels "fragile", but every phone feels fragile after using a 920... (fragile in a good sense, not sure what the English word is for the Dutch word I'm thinking off..). Nothing a bumper case won't fix (is ordered, should arrive tomorrow). It's also light! (again, alongside my 920 everything is light :p)

Hardware: fast, crisp, perfect. It reacts very fast, the screen is really crisp, the black is perfect. But I'll be putting a matte screen protector on it this afternoon, so it'll become a bit less crisp, but that's my own choice :p

OS: It's Windows 10, I've not used Windows 10 at all, not on my phone, not on my tablets, not on my PC. I'm sure that there are things that work different from Windows 8.1 (full and mobile), so I will have to get used to that.
    So far, the good points that I liked on my 920 are still available on the 950, so that's good.
    Some things that I didn't really like on my 920 work better on the 950. As I mostly didn't use those features (such as searching in the app list, I never found it intuitive on 8.1), I'll have to see if I'll start to make use of it now.
    Bug plus over 8.1: you can finally attach a Bluetooth keyboard!

One huge plus for me about Win10 instead of Android: bloatware. I could de-install facebook, twitter, candy crush and a few other applications that I don't need and don't want without even a hitch. You try to do that with any non-Nexus android device....

Battery life: any review that says something about battery life after 1 day isn't worth reading, so I'll come back on that next week or so. Once the newness is gone and normal life returns.

The main reason I bought this one was because of the larger screen and faster processor. So far, I've not been disappointed.

About the "app gap", I've only had Windows Phone smartphones (started with the Nokia Lumia 800), so I don't really "miss" apps as I've never had them. There's only one app that I would like on my phone now. Simply because it has a larger screen than my 920.

gcoupe and JoeS like this.
  6. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I find surprising about both the 950 and the 950XL is how big they are in comparison with my 1020. The 1020 is as big as I think I would like my phone to be, so I think I'll be sticking with it until the battery (or something else) fails. It's now running Windows 10 Mobile, so it's good to go for a while longer yet.

7. JoeS

You get used to phone size pretty quickly though. With my L1520 I got over the "wow, this is an infinite slab of glass" phase quickly, and entered a new "wow, this L1020 is puny" phase.

I caved in to my tech buying deficiency and got the 950XL, and based on my first impressions it might be a good idea to wait a while anyway. There are some bugs and firmware issues to work out. It is nice to have something a bit lighter than the L1520 though, and I'm loving the faster camera and the dual sim option.

Edit: OMG this phone can stand on its side on the kitchen counter. Magic!! Don't try that with an iPhone 6s. :D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

So far, the only "problems" I have with my XL is Windows 10 Mobile based. I'm not used to the OS yet and it works slightly different from 8.1. So I just have to get used to it and only then will I be able to say "I don't like this" etc.

About the size: When I got my 920 to replace the 800, I thought: "What a huge device!". Now, when I see the 920 side by side with the 950XL, I think: "that thing is tiny...". So, yes, you can get used to the size very quickly :p

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I setup my 950XL today....and I'm loving it. It is really much faster than my 1520, Windows Hello is working as expected and there are neat little things like when you pair Bluetooth Audi Devices you get an additional screen for "Play Ready" and a list of Apps that can use that feature...

10. JoeS

I like it too. I just noticed that Devices feature. As I joked elsewhere, one of the good things about the horribly slow Tapatalk Classic app is that you can really tell how much faster the 950XL is. Tapatalk is now almost pleasant to use! :eek:

Allow me to copy my comments from Windows Central:

The good
    - Nice and light, suits me better than the heavy and angular 1520.
    - 'Hello' works perfectly for me, I do really like that feature as my organization enforces long passwords.
    - Unexpected improvement: Easier to stand on its side than the slippery L1520.
    - Camera is really fast, very noticeable.
    - Super dark page in the Kindle app with page set to black, a major improvement over the L1520. Thanks, AMOLED!
    - I like that you can just keep talking after 'Hey Cortana', rather than waiting for the app to open
    - I'm loving the dual SIM, no more separate phone or sim swapping for travel abroad
    - Lucky, it decided to color my foreign T-mobile sim purple. :)
    - Really nice to be able to use the old charging plates again. No more fumbling for the USB cable at night.

The bad / minor niggles
    - To me the plastic doesn't 'feel' cheap, but it definitely sounds a bit cheap when you tap on the back. It sounds kind of hollow.
    - The edges of buttons on the side are a bit too sharp, doesn't feel comfortable or premium.
    - I do really miss double tap to wake, I hope they add this ASAP.
    - Hitting power to activate screen will show media info, which blocks Hello for a few seconds. :(
    - Windows Hello shouldn't come on when you place the phone on a charger, only after button press or double tap to start (once that returns)
    - Cell reception seems a bit weaker than on my ole' 1520
    - Seems kind of slow detecting Bluetooth devices for pairing. One-time problem though.
    - On-screen buttons are not terrible, but not great either. They steal a little screen real estate, my lowest row of tiles is now more clipped than before.
    - Phone is definitely warm slooowly downloading the USA map while on the USB charger. Hope it cools off once all data is in.
    - I see the tiniest color change as I tilt the screen, but only if I look really closely. No issue IMO.
    - I can't hide the on-screen buttons while in the Kindle app. :( On the 1520 you could at least disable them with Battery Saver.
    - Lost HERE Drive, and new WP maps nav is pretty terrible in landscape (HUGE banner along the top). Back to Garmin, which has its own issues.
    - At least once the phone ended up super hot on the wireless charging plate, with 83% battery after a night of charging.
    - All the little (and big) WP10 bugs.

Settings lost after restore
    - Cortana automatic quiet hours
    - maps that were on the SD card didn't get detected, had to redownload all (fixable, see this post)
    - photo and video recording preferences
    - haptic feedback - turned back on
    - some (all?) email passwords
    - notification choices - all apps show in action center again
    - keyboard: preferences on emoticon suggestions lost
    - app settings lost: Kindle, Tapatalk Classic, Songza, Facebook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.