Anyone else excited about Cityman?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm less optimistic, I think this is literally their last flagship. The flagship before this was what, almost 3 years ago? Honestly it isn't rocket science, and I don't even work for MS. Finish Astoria so you have access to thousands of apps, and finally put that app gap argument to rest. That's it, that would solve their issues, with all the other stuff it has going for it we would most likely see a large resurgence for them.

Microsofts main concern is the cloud and subscriptions anyway. While they hamstrung OneDrive, it's still the best value when you add in Office. As long as they can get on all the platforms to sell their subs/cloud services. I'm not sure why they even bother to half ass windows phone, it's not like they really need it, but I suppose it's necessary so they don't totally get eaten up by iOS and Android, not only in the mobile space but even in the desktop space with things like Chrome.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Microsoft has made it too attractive to move to Android. In between my last two Blackberries, I had a Droid. Android had nothing to offer business users at that time, IMO. When I got my Note 5, I was stunned at how much the software had improved. Particularly, the addition of OneNote inking in Android. The program is smoother on my Note 5 than it was on my AVN8. So is inking. The Note 5 is an incredible notepad. Xodo is a decent, if not perfect PDF annotator (although Drawboard is miles ahead of it in sophistication). Having to manually switch from touch to ink for annotation is a PITA. And, I can't make the program save different versions of my timekeeping forms. Dropbox and OneDrive keep all of my pictures and music handy and my office can easily transmit documents to me that I can sign remotely and return. This ability to execute documents remotely was the reason I originally went to an 8" tablet. The other function I relied heavily upon on my 8" tablet was the ability to access LEXIS Advance while on my feet in the Courtroom and to get access to a Court's docket when procedural issues are raised in oral argument or during case management conferences. My Note 5 can do all of that. The resolution and contrast of the incredible AMOLED display makes it easy to read cases on the 5.7" display. The Exynos Octacore seems faster than my old Bay Trial M80TA but it could also be the added RAM (2GB vs 4GB). The Note 5 has not only replaced my Lumia 928 but has usurped nearly all of the functions of my 8" M80TA as well. What functions it has not taken over, such as actual document creation, editing or revision, the Surface 3 does better at 10.7" and is normally in my briefcase anyway.

By developing its phone hardware and software so slowly, Microsoft made its Windows phone unattractive to me. It drove me back to Android. I was happy with WP8.1 and probably would have stayed with Windows. The Lumia's lack of pen support was a deal breaker. Now that Android software is addressing all my small phone/tablet needs, I can't see going back.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Another TPCR user absorbed by the Borg. :) I can't disagree with your reasoning but personally I dislike Google and Apple enough that I'll stick with Windows 10 for now.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm ambivalent about Apple. Probably because I've never owned anything Apple. I am not a Google fan. The company is insidious. But, technolust is irrational. Resistance is futile.

JoeS likes this.
  5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wouldn't Cyanogen fix any issues with google? I'm thinking of going that way myself and with Microsoft cozying up to them with their software that could be the best of both worlds. I was looking at a note 4 for daily use and my 1020 as my camera.

6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Note 5 is the phone MS should have made. As pioneers of the stylus on a smartphone I'm perplexed why they didn't include a stylus, especially seeing how incredible oneNote is on the Note 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodycape likes this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My main problem with Android is the home screen even still. I've tried a ton of different launchers, and I just can't find anything that works as well for me as on Windows Phone (especially with Live Folders, and with W10 Mobile's new DPI scaling so that I can crank that down and get four medium tiles wide).

Seriously though, some of the rumors said that the pen for the 950XL was cancelled because only OneNote supported it, and as I read that I wondered what exactly the problem would have been. That would have been more than enough to start for me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That would have been awesome, it would keep me from bringing my Surface 3 to seminars. Great, now I'm cranky again, thanks jhoff80!

jhoff80 likes this.
  9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I think I may go with the Samsung device as well. Any thing you hate about it?

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I don't have a Samsung device, but I seriously thought about going the Note 4 route(seeing as how nice the prices are, despite the size), but I just can't bare to use Touchwiz. Note 5 looks to have toned it more, but if it's anything like the S6(and Edge) Touchwiz has some RAM mis-management problems. The pen is pretty great, but ultimately I went Nexus 6(64gb) route for the fast updates, price, battery/amoled screen combo. I didn't realize how great it is to have such a roomy keyboard, Note 5 shouldn't be any different.