Anyone else excited about Cityman?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I typically get new phones when I renew a contract so I just have my phone discounted heavily by the carrier.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The thing with many US carriers is that if you don't sign a contract, you're paying more for the phone and still paying the same monthly bill for your service.

I know with AT&T I recently started getting a small discount because they're not subsidizing my phone, but I don't know if the other carriers do that now.

But without that, you're getting cheated on both ends by the carriers.

3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, most phones here are no longer locked, even if you buy them together with a contract. So, I wondered why you'd want a locked Phone :p

My contract isn't up for renewal for another 7 or 8 months, so I just bought it. I could have waited with renewing it, but then I'd have way overpaid for the contract I had (as I bought my 920 with a contract 2 years ago meaning my monthly cost was higher than it would have been if I'd got that contract without a phone).

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Verizon has a real sleazy approach to this. If you are not paying for any phone and you didn't get one on contract, your rate is reduced by something like $10 per month. But, even if you purchase a phone outright and elect not to comit to a 2 year contract, for the time you are paying off the phone, you pay an extra $10 per month. Got you coming and going. Like you said, at both ends.

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Let's not forget VZW, like AT&T, are now charging $20 extra just to get a new phone. I wonder if I can save that $10 as I just got a new phone off ebay.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The Lumia 950 is now available at the MS store, and the 950XL next week on Thanksgiving day (?!). Who's buying?

Edit: this is the "No contract" ATT version, not sure if carrier unlocked. It is also $600 instead of the announced $550 retail price for the unlocked version. Store link here.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its the locked version, not worth it vs going unlocked for less.
    Sent from my Lumia 1020

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    efjay likes this.
  9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Be curious to know if anyone has it working on T-Mobile. Band 12? WiFi Calling?

10. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I certainly don't think their review carries any weight as they are pretty much unofficially Microsoft PR. Reading the ars review though just reinforces my view that these phones just aren't worth it, maybe next year when the OS has matured but so far not seen anything to tempt me away from my L1020 with wireless charging cover and camera grip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.