Anyone else excited about Cityman?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Hope you're right! :newpalm:

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

No pen, no way.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

bloodycape likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have to agree with that. OneNote on the GN5 is brilliant. I can't wait to figure out how to send handwritten emails.

One of the things I liked about the AVN8 was how quickly you could deploy it to take a note about something you would normally forget. A device like the S3 is not nearly as portable and isn't small enough to be kept in an accessible spot. For the AVN8, it was the front pocket of my briefcase, which was always available without unbuckling the saddle bag straps. I would capture a lot of "to do" notes, contact information or fragments of a thought that occasionally turned out to be useful.

Although it's early and I'm just learning the device, the GN5 is already shining in that role. It is far more portable than the 8" tablet. It fits easily in a pocket insead of a briefcase. The GN5's 5,7" display makes a decent writing platform. It is just large enough to be a comfortable note taker. It's startling how small my Nokia's 4.5" display appears now. It's not overly thin, but the device is so compact because it is flat with perfectly rounded corners. It travels very well.

The S-View case is the best fitting case I've ever owned for any device, even my old IPaq, that had a great fitting leather case. I have to figure out a way to make the case be able to double as a stand in landscape orientation.

The CPU is powerful enough to do anything I've asked it to do so far. Looking at the specifications, it is odd that the Octacore is made up of two quad core CPUs that run at different frequencies. Lexis Advance Mobile runs fine in a browser, even though I can not believe that Lexis only makes an App for IOS.

Once I settle on a PDF annotator, I think the display is large enough to permit me the ability to sign documents remotely. The only thing that I can't do on the GN5 that I could do on the AVN8 was to edit and annotate documents. The display is too small for that. The 8" display was, IMO, the smallest display that could function in that fashion. I need the S3 if I'm going to actually work with the documents. Not just sign them.

I still need to set up the GPS and the fingerprint reader. I'm also looking forward to trying out the dictation software and see if the noise cancelling mike is any good. The display is the best I've ever seen on a phone. It is very clear and easy to read.

I think the 4GB RAM (2 More than the AVN8) also helps performance. It is very fast as a Wifi Hotspot.

Surface Phone? It will have to be real special.

Edit: I found this intersting. Does it mean that Android phones will be getting an OS upgrade or that Chromebooks are being nerfed? http://liliputing.com/2015/10/wsj-chrome-os-to-merge-with-android-in-2017.html

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

The major drawback (ok, there are two, one which is rather prohibitive to me buying the GN5: unavailability in Europe) is the fact that it doesn't run stock Android but Android with a very heavy Samsung flavour. I have it on my Galaxy Note 8, and I must say, I really don't like it. Once I figure out how I can add a custom rom, I'll probably will (if I gather enough courage to do so, as the GN8 is irreplaceable)

Bronsky likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This is probably obvious, but the 950XL qualifies for educational discount at the MS store, so once they release it it will be $584 instead of $650 for some of us.

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Basically for us the student discount is tax :p

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

8. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here (in the Netherlands) this promotion works for any store that sells them... And what's the problem with an unlocked phone?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My guess would be cost. If you keep your phones for two years anyway, you might as well get a decent discount on the phone.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

More specifically around $300-$400. An unlocked phone will be ~$700 vs $200 on contract....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.