Anyone else excited about Cityman?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was just reading about this, yeah I'm behind the times usually. It looks pretty amazing, I'm surprised it isn't the talk of the town. Look at those specs, incredible. 5.7" QHD, qi charging, 20m camera, 7-8mm thin, has support for the SP3 stylus, you can buy a dock with USB and display ports and continuum will make it a freakin full PC. It's in the works to run ios/android apps in win10 mobile. USB type C. As someone who decided the Note 5 wasn't for him this year, this sure looks mighty appealing.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-cityman-and-talkman-flagship-full-details

Attached Files:

ron2k_1, soh5 and JoeS like this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ahem. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...the-lumia-940-and-940-xl-win-10-phones.66545/ :D

For what it's worth though, it's not quite as simple as just running iOS and Android apps. iOS apps especially will take a lot of work. The WinObjC compiler will get developers part of the way there, but they still consider it something like 60% code reuse. The rest will have to be redone specifically for Windows (though it has the benefit of being able to be made into a Universal Windows app).

With Android / Project Astoria, the goal is that many apps will run with little or no recoding, but it's still a matter of the developer caring enough to submit it to the Store. (The leaked tool shows that some apps currently work as-is, but most are tied to Google Play Services and will require the developer to add in support for Microsoft's interop library and some will even need a bit more work than that). The Android stuff will also be limited to phones though.

Still though, I hope a lot of developers are willing to put in the limited amount of work necessary to get this stuff up and running, because it'll make a huge difference in app selection.

3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

There's only one problem with it...

We don't know the release date yet!

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm holding on to my upgrade for the Cityman to replace my 1520 :) I would guess that the phones will be available sometime between September-November of this year....

soh5, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

More and more the Cityman looks amazing. I just cant wait.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wonder how much the 950XL is going to cost with a 2 year Verizon subscription? Seems like a great phone. The replaceable battery is really a plus.

So, I guess purchasers have to hope that a smaller, thinner N'Trig pen is designed to complement the phone. Still undecided, however, if this is a must have device or a Samsung Note 4, at a greatly reduced Verizon contract price after the Note 5 is released, would be better. The choice looks tougher than I anticipated.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I personally think that the Cityman will be the perfect device for us @Bronsky.

Expandable media slot, removable battery so you can just hot swap, dockable (not a feature I plan on using), and native Surface pen support.

Along with how W10 has come for the desktop/surface (barring the inking bugs in one note on my surface), W10 has been amazing on my desktop.

Last time I used Windows Phone was WP7 and it was pretty interesting as a concept. I really do think the Live Tiles is very "handy" at least on a mobile device.

Pretty sure the price will be at least $199 with a contract, at least that is how most flagships are running these days on the USA market. If not $249 (thats what I recall they are charging for the iPhone 6+ on ATT).

I have been shopping around lately since my contract with ATT has been up since early July but I really am holding out for this phone. I was previously holding out for the GN5, but they screwed the pooch with the features on that. Like you Bronsky, I am deciding on a discounted GN4 or Cityman. Currently leaning Cityman just because I like newest and shiniest.

Though there is something to be said about the pen that can stowed away in a silo. :)

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

A year after its release, the Note 4 is still selling for $299.99 on Verizon with a 2 year contract.:eek: I would expect the Lumia to be in that range. $249.99 would be okay. The advantage we have is that it is a Windows phone and Verizon is not likely to be selling a bunch of them, so the price should come down fairly quickly. If I get it, however, I probably won't wait.

9. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Cityman sounds cool...but...I simply don't carry my SP3 around all that much. Having to keep track of a Surface stylus when I'm out and about without my SP3 would not work very well. If it doesn't have its own stylus, I don't see me getting one. I need the stylus in its little silo in the phone itself...I just don't need another loose item to keep track of.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I thought U.S.carriers were getting rid of contacts and with that subsidized phones?!?

For those of you considering the GN4 because of pen silo, you might want to look at the GN3 instead. There is an app called S-Pen Toolbox (or something like that) and it lets you setup what you want to happen when you remove the pen. I've set it to open OneNote and then turn off the screen when turning the pen to its silo. For some reason GN4 isn't supported (never checked closely).

EDIT/UPDATE
    The explanation in Google Play doesn't mention GN4, but the app hasn't been updated since July 2014, so that might just be an oversight from the developer.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.