Anyone "Downgrade" to Windows 7 Pro? Asus VivoTab 810

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Atticus, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Atticus

Atticus Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got a Vivotab with Windows 8. I use electronic medical records (EMR) at work and therefore I had to upgrade to Win 8 Pro (for the domain stuff).
    I then loaded my EMR and I had to load Microsoft Office 2003 as the EMR needs it for some file viewing stuff.

I have come to release that the lack of the TIP kills the VivoTab for me as a slate. I think need to run Windows 7 Pro. Waggling the pen to activate the floating TIP is the only way to go!

Anyone "downgrade" to Win7 Pro?
    Are there driver issues using Win 7 Pro as the Vivotab is newer hardware than the OS?
    Anyone know if microsoft or a 3rd party may give me the TIP back?
    Other 3rd party applications like Ritepen and Virtual Hot keyboard are too buggy for me.

~ Rant~
    Oh and somehow I lost the right swipe to get to the charms menu.
    Oh when the Win 8 virtual keyboard pops up I can see the field I want to type in as it comes 40% of the screen!
    Oh I only have 7 gigs available.. How can that be (I have no music, photo's, or video's)" I only have a few business applications..

Bummer...Maybe I'll just have to return the unit. I have to say I think the hardware is great (feel, battery, weight)...The software lacks for my legacy applications...

Thanks all,
    Phillip

2. Atticus

Atticus Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok. One issues/rant resolved... Dropbox ate up 17 gigs....Deleted that stuff fast!
    At least I have enough room to refresh my system
    thanks.

Now maybe I have enough room to try to dual boot into Windows 7 Pro...Anyone tried dual booting a Win 8 machine into 7? Internet is full of 7 machines dual booting into 8...

3. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, man, I've thought that Windows 7 might be better too, but given the state of the drivers (i.e., nonexistent), I don't know that you'll have much luck. If you dual-boot, keep us posted.

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

According to the HP engineer behind the ElitePad 900, neither Microsoft nor Intel supports Win7 on Clover Trail CPUs. So theoretically, it's possible on Ivy Bridge machines, but it's up to each OEM to release Win7 drivers. That's a bit more likely to happen on business-grade machines. If you decide to try it on your VivoTab, make sure you clone the SSD first. Then come back and let us know the result of your clean Win7 install!

5. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

You can have a button on the taskbar to bring up the TIP, doesn't it come activated with the VivoTab? (My Windows is in PT-PT, literal translation): Right Click anywhere on the Taskbar - > Properties -> Toolbars -> Touch Keyboard.

Pen input works fine, just press the little keyboard on the right bottom side of the virtual keyboard (just assuming you haven't noticed).

Also, if you're having general issues, might want to try a Refresh or Reset (On the Start Screen -> Charms -> Settings -> More PC Settings -> General -> Refresh or Reset).