Anybody wipe Windows 8.1 and install Win 7 on Venue 11 yet?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by xrayzebra, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

Just wondering.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. semblance

semblance Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows 7 is not designed for modern touch tablets, uses more CPU and memory, does not support connected standby (as Windows 8 does today on the 5130 model), and doesn't have the API support for UI scaling that Windows 8 does.

The anti-Windows 8 sentiment has reached absurd levels. Am I living in bizarro world?

panzer06, bazanime, ford1620 and 5 others like this.
  3. xrayzebra

Just wondering...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    Jcink likes this.
  4. 11orpeunevlled

11orpeunevlled Pen Pal - Newbie

A tablet is not for you then. Get a laptop and live on the desktop side.

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

It sounds like some customization is called for. First go through and right click on all the apps you want to keep and turn off live tile. Do the same for the stuff you want to remove and uninstall it (social media, etc.). In win8.1 there is a way to boot directly to the desktop, if you have shortcuts for most of your applications on there, then a trip to the start menu may never be needed. I think the old start menu "app" is also still working on 8.1, but I never used it because I found that with touch the start menu worked just fine for me and I kind of like it after adjusting.

The apps tracking what you play has gone on for a lot longer than you may realize, especially in the early years with DVD. I would suggest alternate applications like the free Winamp, VLC, XBMC. These three are desktop apps.

As far as owning the applications, you haven't really done that for a long time, the licensing on say Adobe CS6 (the last one before cloud) clearly states that I do not own the right to use the software. I have been given a license to run the software and that they can revoke that license at any time. It's all a great screw job! For my personal computers (vs. work computers) I use Gimp (free), Open Office (free) and many other open sourced or otherwise free applications.

Linux: I really liked Linux Mint Cinnamon when I played with it last week, worked very well but has one specific thing that made me dump it... I was trying to get it running on a tablet! That whole community has an unreal disdain for tablets "this is an OS for desktops, if you want tablet go somewhere else", or a big FU tablet users if you prefer (search the Mint forums for tablet and you will quickly come to the same conclusion). So I went back to Fedora 20 which runs fairly well on the target tablet even though I can't get an AMD graphics driver to give me acceleration and that automatic screen rotation doesn't work. With an Intel GPU this might work out very nicely but some hardware based features will certainly be lacking. The only difficulty with installing Fedora 20 is the disk partitioning, it is clumsy and not at all intuitive. I still fumble around to get to the screen where I can delete all previous partitions so it can automatically partition the disk for its use. After that it's a sit back and wait deal. Adding software is much more "Windows user" friendly. The touchscreen works pretty well, but if you don't have a Wacom it may not work well with the pen. Firefox needs some extensions to get touch scrolling and long press right click (sort of). All in all once you adjust it may work very nicely and is certainly moving in a tablet friendly direction. One thing to note is that applications that are not on the side bar are available like Android by clicking on the little icon that has a grid of squares, this gives the choice between recent and all applications.

I'm sure I've missed a few points, and with some of the difficulties that you've encountered with the hardware I have a feeling that you will be ditching the tablet for anything else, but maybe worth experimenting while you have it to come to grips with win8.1, there is no going back. The only other choice is to embrace Linux or ChromeOS (another Linux derivative), at least on a chrome book the price to entry is much lower. I do not know of any real tablet computers that come with Linux preloaded, the community is split between half thinking that if you want Linux on a tablet you should just get an Android device, and half thinking that maybe they should start thinking about going towards a tablet module. Fedora and Ubuntu have embraced tablets to a certain level. Fedora recently brought the ARM processor branch into the full support of the main branch. I'm hoping that they will bring move features from the ARM tablet branch into the main branch for us. Ubuntu has a fully functional and supported ARM branch, but they are keeping it locked up and trying to find paying partners for their tablet/phone branch. I've never had a lot of luck with the base Ubuntu so I have no idea how well it works on tablets, they do put in all the "third party" software repositories and things that Fedora will not build in. There is some legality issue over some things like the multimedia codecs that come with Ubuntu (ffmpeg, etc.) that Fedora doesn't want to deal with. FFMPEG may violate several intellectual properties, but still remains free from prosecution, several companies fear that if they include theses routines, they may fall victim to legal action. You can add these codecs fairly easily by adding the third party repositories and adding the codecs and players (mplayer among others).

Well, after all this I'll wish you best of luck with the Dell, think I've decided to wait and see what Lenovo brings for the think pad series, the V8P almost did what I want, but the pen issue and some of the other problems have scared me away unless I can get one really stupidly cheap. The v11p was always too much money, I would go for a Surface 2 Pro for the little bit more, or one of the other full windows tablets with good functional pen.

6. xrayzebra

Thanks, Greg for the conversation, but I've withdrawn the original comments that seemed to offend others before this turns into a dogpile. :)

7. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

Seriously, I don't think it really offends anyone, it just begs the question WHY would someone want to do such a thing. The draw of the current generation of tablets is battery life competitive with the iPad / Android tablet world while bringing desktop level performance (albeit desktops of a few years ago) to those size devices.

Moving to windows 7 and you lose alot of functionality. It boots slower, doesn't run as well in 2gb, uses more power, doesn't support connected standby. etc.

Unless you have a Win7 only critical app that you must use I can't think of a positive thing about moving to Win7. Even then I'd likely just put WinXP in a VM for running those old apps.

11orpeunevlled and xrayzebra like this.
  8. xrayzebra

More than to avoid offense, it was to avoid any more of the cowardly anonymous negative rep someone laid on me, turning me "red."

The only Win 7 application I resent losing is Free Cell :)

Among the comments I deleted was that I was moderately happy with the performance of my Fujitsu Q550 running Win 7, which was (let's accept it) a bit of a dog. I understand the benefits of Win 8 over 7.

Other than that, I sincerely meant ~only~ to see if anybody had done this, purely curiosity. People are doing crazier stuff than that on this forum. I made the mistake of suggesting I'd dump Win 8 for 7 if it worked and then I smarted off to semblance in a way that was meant to be joking, and I've since "liked" semblance's post and apologized if it was taken with offense. Just wanna play nice with others and not be lambasted for not being part of the fan club.

Overall, I am actually quite happy with Windows 8.1. What I actually dislike, in a nutshell, is the direction of Windows toward "stores" and increased consumer surveillance tracking, advertising based apps, and those that require an internet connection mainly for the purpose of reporting what time of day I start my computer and turn it off, what apps I use, what song I played at what time of day or pushing an ad at me. The interconnectedness of apps and sites that want to own part of our consciousness and pass around our psychographic as well as demographic profiles is disturbing to anyone born before cell phones, when people just listened in on your party line to spy on you. To me, Win 8 signals rapid acceleration of this trend. But, 1984 was 30 years ago in another couple of days, after all. I realize Win 7 was tracking me, too, but at least it wasn't directly in my face about it.

ecki2k and m3racer like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

10. AmberLamps

AmberLamps Pen Pal - Newbie

Why in the name of Allah would anyone want to install Windows 7 on anything now that we have this beautiful, fast, secure Win8 operating system. I cant fathom why anyone would not love Win 8. Madness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.