Anybody running Windows 10 + Office 2016 on a HP 2740p ???

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by joe solo, Nov 23, 2015.

1. joe solo

joe solo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I'm looking for feedback if your running Windows 10 on a HP 2740p. Is the touch screen, pen and figerprint reader working fine?

Is any HP drivers are needed to make it work. Other issue to mention?

I'm curently running Win7 pro with no version of Office and before moving up to Win 10, i'm planning to buy and install this version of Office 2013 pro for 40$, hoping i will be able to upgrade it to Office 2016 for free???

http://www.getsoftwarekey.com/micro...3.html?zenid=7feb4b537d97adafba0a85a8d303d015

Anybody running Office 2016 on a HP 2740p?

Thanks

2. wxwxw

wxwxw Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed win10 on one old 2740P. The touch screen and pen worked. I didn't check the fingerprint reader. The screen rotate button also worked. I haven't tested much since I mainly use it to listen music and check email/web. I just grabbed the win 7 driver from hp website and installed them. Didn't install all of them. I can't remember which are installed, but at least chipset, hp button, touch pad, sd card reader. For sd card reader driver, you have to run it from command prompt, win 10 complain blocked publisher and wouldn't allow you run from file explorer.

3. Algusod

Algusod Pen Pal - Newbie

I am running it on 2760P. Threshold helped a lot with pen and touch. What I heard about finger print reader is that it is a Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) standard dying. Ought to be a fix coming with all the cell phone finger print readers out there, guess HP is on the hook for that fix.

4. OverTallman

OverTallman Pen Pal - Newbie

My experience with Creators Update (Windows 10 Version 1703) on 2740p:
    1. Wacom pen works fine out of the box, latest Tablet PC driver has been automatically installed which is somewhat better than the one from HP.

2. Mine doesn't have multi-touch so no touch screen, but I reckon it should work too since it's using Wacom technology as well.

3. Fingerprint reader doesn't work with Windows Hello, but that's been the problem since Windows 10 was out, it also happened in other xx40 EliteBooks. I didn't try other fingerprint software.

4. I had to manually install drivers for sound, WWAN card, Bluetooth (the one from HP site doesn't work, found the correct one in Softpedia) and 3D DriveGuard, others are done by Windows itself.

5. For some unknown reason the 3D DriveGuard settings panel can't be opened, but mine is running mSATA SSD so no biggie. SSD is probably the cause though, as I can't open the same thing on my 2570p which also has an SSD.

6. All buttons work fine, actions can't be altered though, dunno if it's already like that in Win 7.

7. Sometimes while waking up the screen or the laptop, the screen will flash once and the graphics driver restarts itself. In Rainmeter the transparent effect will be gone and I need to restart Rainmeter to get the effect back. Not a big issue but worth mentioning. I suspect it's due to the old GMA HD Graphics driver that comes pre-installed since it also happens on my Latitude E5510.

8. Both Office 2013 and 2016 work very well in Win 10, no issues as of now.
    I also did some fine tuning to the system:
    1. Once sound driver is installed, the sound quality becomes miles better and sound effects can be activated. Well worth the little hassle as the sound chip is quite decent, better than the one in xx60 and xx70 EliteBooks.

2. Screen rotation mod still works, but uninstall the pre-installed Quick Launch button driver in Device Manager and install the correct one without restarting, or else the pre-installed driver will be automatically reinstalled upon restart.

3. I changed the power plan to "Power Saver" and the battery life jumped from 2 hours max to about 3.5 hours under light use, it runs much cooler and quieter too. Mine is from the early batch and has an i5-540M, the battery is like new.
    Some pics as usual:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017