Anybody heard of something like this?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Definitive Cake, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

I just saw a review for a tablet (not a tablet pc), and it looked pretty amazing. Now I get along just fine with my tpc, taking notes pretty much every day in class, etc., but it got me thinking. I definitely notice that the tablet pen isn't perfect. In some ways, it's really nice. Erasing quickly, smoothing out my handwriting, etc. However, there's a little bit of a delay between writing and the ink showing up, a little bit of distortion around the edges of the screen, and other misc little imperfections. Not that I'm complaining, but seeing this dvi/usb tablet, and its use external to the computer, I was interested. So I was thinking...

What if, they made a tablet, kinda like a slate tablet pc, but without it being an entire pc. What if, instead of running a (probably windows) operating system, it ran its own operating system on limited hardware (and its own battery power supply) with the sole purpose of being able to take notes (or, you know, draw, mark up documents, etc). I'm visualizing a tablet that only runs one-note here.

Then, it would connect, later, to your pc at home, via vga or dvi and usb (or possibly a docking bay), and become not only an external tablet for your home computer, but a location from which you could extract your notes, or upload pdfs to mark up later in class, etc. It would also recharge in this state.

I'd be interested in something like this for several reasons.
    1) If some of the computer componentry could be removed, there could possibly be a substantial weight and space savings. I can imagine slipping a 12" diagonal by .5" thick screen into my backpack quite easily.
    2) Again, if some of the computer componentry could be removed, battery life could be increased, or at least battery size could be reduced, etc. Possibly different sizes of battery for different requirements.
    3) If it were a dedicated wacom screen, it could probably perform better than a lot of the screens on tablets right now, right?
    4) It could be an add-on to any existing system, laptop or desktop, rather than needing to buy a new, rather expensive entire laptop to get a portable note-taking computer.
    5) Price. I'm not sure what external wacom devices usually go for, but I'm assuming it could be significantly less than a new laptop.

I see all the students around me taking notes on paper, and loving how easy it is to keep all my notes together in one place and carry them with me wherever I go, never running out of paper or ink, and being able to mark up documents before they're printed. But nobody buys a tablet because it requires investing your entire college computer in a (relatively) unknown technology. I could imagine walking into a classroom where half or more of the students are carrying around a screen for taking notes, which they will upload to their computers later when they get home (or, just keep on the tablet for viewing later), then putting them back in their backpacks at the end of class.

I've never heard of this before, and I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried it, or if it's such a crazy idea that there's no chance it would work. It's like a slate tablet, but without needing to do 90%+ of the things a full computer can do. Do people just buy entire slate tablets for this purpose?

2. Se7enLawliet

Se7enLawliet Pen Pal - Newbie

It would work. Odds are one day someone will come up with something like that.

Hell, make basically what you said, throw in about 32 gigs of flash memory, a SDHC card reader and a USB drive port for exporting and mp3 capabilities and we've just made a student's best friend.

3. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a great idea but a few companies would be daring enough to create something like that. I can imagine the possibility of a 1" thick linux slate with a 10" screen(XGA-WXGA) running an atom processor, with 4-8gb of internal memory and sdhc card slot and 1gb of ram. Only software needed would be a onenote clone for linux.

It would be similar to the $200 internet tablet, but this one would cost around $400 or more.

5. grajohnson75

grajohnson75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would buy one :)

6. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Something like that would cost aloooooooot. As thin as the iPod Touch and 12 inches? Hehe.

7. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

I was thinking very similar to the first link you posted, but with full wacom abilities once connected to the computer. It would default to acting like a second monitor with wacom.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Definitive Cake

Definitive Cake Pen Pal - Newbie

sounds like a really awesome idea. detachable note taking tablet. on that premise, you could hook it to a laptop and still have all the joy of a tablet pc.

and that would finally end the "where's the gaming tablet lulz" subject!

I think this idea is spot on, and should be created immediately. o_o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.