Any update on compatible / incompatible RAM for T4220? (and BIOS question)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by terry mc, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhalin

rhalin Pen Pal - Newbie

Heyyas,

I was wondering if anyone had a new information on the compatibility of RAM for the T4220. I just got mine on order a few days ago, and I'm looking to upgrade to 4GB (2x2GB).

From previous posts, it was mentioned that some people had luck with OCZ, AData, and Crucial (with one exception) - think there may have been a PNY as well.

I've been eyeing the Corsair 2GB @ 667 (5300), since it's at a good price point (newegg), but hadn't heard any reports about it working or not.

Also, in addition to that, I was wondering if the T4220 BIOS lets you set the voltage of the RAM. It looks like the smaller modules(256/512/ and some 1GB) use 1.7v, and the larger ones (1GB - 2GB) use 1.8v. From doing some reading for other laptops, it seems this needs to be manually changed sometimes for the machine to detect or use the larger RAM.

Thanks!

-Rhalin

2. lolos

lolos Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I just ordered T4220 and it should support 800MHz FSB, why all RAMS recommended for it only have 667MHz? Crucial online "Memory Configurator" have recommendation for both speeds (i.e. 677 and 800) but when I called Fujitsu customer service to confirm, they said that they have never done any testing on 800MHz RAMs and it will use consume more battery. By how much I asked? He said, I wouldn't know because we never tested it!

Someone help please because I am newbie at this. I am trying to get the best for my system.

Thanks!

3. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

T4220 and every other Santa Rosa laptop supports 800FSB, but only DDR2 667 as far as I know (unless there're overclocked variants out there...) DDR2 800 is probably on the way but not within the next few weeks or so, should be quite a wait.

That said, DDR2 800 RAM chips should still work in the T4220 (barring compatibility problems) but it'll likely use more power, and you still get only 667MHz.

5. lolos

lolos Pen Pal - Newbie

Could this be a software dependent or hardware?

6. Alpha Technogoddess

Alpha Technogoddess Tablet PC Noob

I returned my crucial memory recently because it wouldn't register individually. Only paired with the factor installed stick did it work. I'm going to try samsung/micron whenever I get my money refunded.

7. rhalin

rhalin Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm curious, did you buy the memory direct from Crucial, or from a third party? Looking around their site, it seems like the generic RAM they send out to be resold might be different then what they list as compatible on their website (the model numbers are different).

I realize that this might just be a sales-tactic to generate more $$$ from selling "confirmed compatible" ram, but it may also be possible that there is something different about it.

Any thoughts?

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Funnily enough I am also looking into this...
    Initial findings are that the cheaper Crucial OEM RAM is the problem party, whereas the dearer company stock RAM is fine.

9. rupan

rupan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a set of G.Skill (2X1GB) that will be going in to my T4220 when it gets here. I got them off of newegg and have been using them in my current laptop for a few months now with no problems. As soon as I try it out I will let you all know how it goes.

10. rhalin

rhalin Pen Pal - Newbie

That would make a lot of sense, since many people have reported bad results with Micron memory and Crucial is just the distribution name for Micron. I would assume most of the Crucial cheap OEM sticks use Micron memory, and they may put other chips on the more expensive stuff.

Be interesting to see and add another to the list if it works!