Any tips for a better pressure curve on a tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by T-ravisty, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

There's another tool that, between other things, lets you tweak the pressure curve that works on the surface pro 3: Lazy Nezumi.
    And with more control than Microsoft own app.

It's not free but if you're a serious artist working with Photoshop you might want to give it a try. You may end up asking yourself how you were able to live before... :D

https://lazynezumi.com/home

fishdavis likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...more control than Microsoft own app...>>

...As I read the webpage and the FAQs, this tool only works with Wacom technology? So only the Surface Pro (1) and Surface Pro 2?

3. Azzart

Everything works, I just checked again on a surface pro 3 with photoshop cc2014 ;)

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Everything works...>>

Azzart: Thanks for the follow-up!

Azzart likes this.
  5. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

This is one funky tool! But besides the squiggly brush, which you can create as a custom brush, what is the practical application?

I see that pressure curve can be customized for speed, and historical average and all that. But you as a professional make use of it?

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. Azzart

Lazy Nezumi main purpose has always been being a stroke smoothing tool.
    Think you have to do comic like lineart drawings: in that case it helps a lot since Photoshop has no stroke smoothing options (and I have no good hand even if I'm an illustrator).

This was the feature I always knew it for.
    I rediscovered it just the other day because I bought a surface pro 3 and, contrary to the cintiq companion, the pen definitely needs some kind of software stabilizer if you need to do slow, deliberate strokes.

And I discovered it became a great drawing asistant tool nowadays: aside from stroke smoothing, it helps with pressure curve and pressure smoothing, it have that strange distorted lines generator that could be of help in some way and, more importantly, a serie of curve, ellipse an perspective assistant/constraints that are really the icing on the cake.

To me it values all the few bucks it costs. ;)

7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried Lazy Nezumi a year ago, (I don't know if it has been updated or not since), and while I could see how it might be of use, I found the built-in brush stabilization algorithms in nearly every Japanese art program much more satisfying and reliable.

Paint Tool Sai has the best version, I think. Drawing with that software is dreamy!

Mangastudio 5 is also quite excellent. -I still use a little program called "Manga Labo", (one of Portal Graphics old offerings). -It's barely supported now, only allows for 32bit usage, but I just pull layouts in from Photoshop for inking, so the file sizes aren't an issue. It's a very solid little inking tool.

I've not tried the most recent Photoshop, but the version I run is hopeless when it comes to brush stabilization.

Azzart likes this.
  9. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the mention, I picked it up over Christmas and it's been really useful with my Asus Vivotab Note 8. I even use it sometimes on my Cintiq. On the Note 8 (which has less precise lines) it's saved me a lot of cleanup time in PS. totally worth the $

10. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I've been using Lazy Nezumi this past year and I really like it. I will even use it on occasion in Clip Paint Studio, because it will produce extremely smooth lines. It is a life saver in Photoshop. It is also useful with just a regular Intuos tablet because it helps compensate for the slight wonkiness of drawing where you are not looking.

stoneseeker and fishdavis like this.