Any tips for a better pressure curve on a tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by T-ravisty, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm alright.

Any ideas what happens in between the lower and upper threshold? Like at 19? Or even if I set lower to 10 and upper to 100, what would that 11-99 interval mean?

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I THINK those are min values. So 18 or 19 is the minimum required to register clicks and at 20 pressure curve starts building up depending on your settings. Which is really aggravating because say your upper threshold is 100 and your minimum value on your pressure curve is 20, then you'll not register a Click until you've pressed your pen 100 units...

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

3. dream3

Oh I see. Well, I'm leaving mine on 2 for lower threshold and 10 for upper. I've read on that guy's website that the miimum difference between lower and upper should be the MAX PRESSURE divided by 128. So 1024/128 equals 8.

I'll stop trying to understand this little wacom file as soon as I figure just one more thing out:

What about PRESSURE SAFTEY (SAFETY) MARGIN? By googling it I get the value of 2. But the file on my surface sets it to 0.

Do you happen to know what that means?

4. dream3

Hey

Im bumping this thread as I realized my pressure sensitivity curve on my surface pro is just plain bad. Going back and forth between tablet pc and intuos aided me get to that conclusion.

With my intuos I try to lower the maximum needed pressure so I dont hurt my hand, nib or tablet surface. By trying to apply the same principles with the surface I got frustrated. The reason is the "length" of the curve/line available to the pen with the surface is half the one of a intuos. 1024 vs 2048.

When I lower the max pressure, I'm actually compressing the pressure spectrum. That is not a problem at all with intuos as there's no minimum input pressure and the 2048 levels allow me to still maintain control over the stroke.

However, with the Surface, the fewer levels and the need for a minimum pressure ended up compressing WAY too much that "pressure path".

So to make the curve good enough, I have to realize what is the required minimum pressure, in level units, so I don't waste the initial levels (example, is it 20 0, 40 0, 60 0, etc?) and I have to figure out a curve that, at the same time, lengthens the path and doesn't ruin the pressure variation.

5. ToddingtonToons

ToddingtonToons Pen Pal - Newbie

Omg this sounds great! Maybe I couldve stuck with an sp3 if I got this tool working on win8, has anyone tried? I will have to read through this thread better when I have a faster internet connection!

6. ron2k_1

This is just for Wacom machines. There is an app in the Microsoft Store called Surface Hub that allows you to tweak the pen a bit.
    [​IMG]

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  7. ToddingtonToons

Has it only just been released? I wish I had known about it a couple of months ago before returning the sp3!

8. ron2k_1

I think it's been there for a while now. At least 2 months

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're obviously not visiting SurfaceProArtist.com often enough. ;)

10. ToddingtonToons

I swear I did dammit! Getting complacent with research in my old age or something! Ill have to try it out sometime when im next in a country that sells the sp3. The only thing that annoyed me about the sp3 was that darn pressure curve. I was bending the screen to get full pressure.