Any tips for a better pressure curve on a tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by T-ravisty, Jan 10, 2014.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I don't know where the lower threshold number comes from, but the upper threshold seems to directly correspond to the number you chose as the base load required (default is 20) to start opacity.

So in messing around I realized I needed to run as Admin AND restart in order to see any effect on a windows 7 64 bit system.

My best settings for now (trying to get a more sensitive lower end without losing too much sensitivity on the top end) are the following:

20 0 127 80 254 254

this way at 21 units of force, I begin 1 unit of opacity, and by 127 units of force I am only at 80 units of opacity. Easier to get light strokes that way. Earlier I had set the intial force required to 12 instead of 20 but I found it registered unintended marks too easily which showed up as little "hooks" on the end of my strokes if I drew quickly.

2. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, sorry; I forgot to mention that you had to run as admin.

I'm still trying out different settings, your last one 20 0 127 80 254 254 is running alright.
    I did have it on a higher curve to begin with 20 0 200 45 254 254; but there's a large drop off in pressure and decided to ditch it.
    I'm mainly after light strokes for sketching and the rough animation in PS.

I haven't a clue as to what the Upper/Lower Threshold means, hopefully thatcomicsguy might be able to shed some light?
    I'll do some Googling to try and find some answers.
    Could you please explain your understanding of it further?

Where are you finding these extra .dat files? Same directory (C:\Users\"user name"\AppData\Roaming\WTablet\ISDTablet.dat)?
    I only have one file in mine, could be from your 15x.

If you change one does .dat it affect both your t902 and 15x?

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

So awesome that you guys have figured this out! I was sad I couldn't get it to work after I went x64. I'm going to have to give this a go again! Yay! :)

T-ravisty likes this.
  4. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

I dont know about you guys but I think a linear progression rather than a curved one is easier to predict. You can be sure that with a little bit more pressure, you have exactly that little bit more with the software. I tried with other values and I found out that the changes in pressure are too abrupt and bumpy.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

your just adjusting the "middle point" lower but keeping it a straight line? That's pretty smart actually, what numbers you running?

All I know about the threshold's is the "Upper" # will always be identical to the first value in your number sequence (20 for us) so it must be the threshold at what point the pen is told to register input. The "lower" # still baffles me though.

I have 4 files, two directories. The 2 dat files in each directory are identical named to the other directory, but are not identical files, as they have slightly different file sizes. I am beginning to wonder if I can delete the one directory that doesn't seem to be getting effected and see what happens. I'm pretty sure that the 2nd one in each directory is for the 15x, --the one titled "Wacom_tablet.dat"-- since you guys seem to be finding yours as only "ISD_tablet.dat".

The nifty tool we are using gives me a choice when I open it to adjust the one for the cintiq or the T902. The way I can tell them apart is because the T902 is called ISD, and if I open the other one it reports 511 levels. So the .dat files are adjusted separately.

What perplexes me is this: Where does windows store it's pressure sensitivity for the wacom pen even when the Wacom driver is not installed?? I know pressure works fine if you don't install the wacom driver in programs like Sketchbook Pro or otjhers that don't use wintab. Very strange. I am guessing that is what the other folder is doing, but I could be wrong. Can you guys go to the following directory and confirm you do NOT have this folder/files?
    C:/windows/system32/config/systemprofile/appdata/roaming/Wtablet
    -ISD_tablet.dat
    -Wacom_tablet.dat

This is similar but not the same as the folder in the "username"/appdata/roaming/Wtablet .... Do you guys not have this?

*UPDATE* - deleted the other directory and everything works fine. Must have been leftover install directory for a previous driver I tried out I guess. So yes, the 2 files are because I have a cintiq and T902 driver.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. dream3

Yes, in my case I lowered the middle point like you said, and I get a line. The tradeoff is that I lose some levels of sensitivity, but I think it's worth it. On the other hand I know for sure that, from top to bottom that, for example, 1% more in my pressure will always result in an increment of 1,8% in the sensitivity level.

I'm using 0 0 408 510 818 1022, which is basically means I need to put only 80% of the total pressure to reach the desired sensitivity level. It's the same setting that wacom let´s you change with their driver, so I think it's a good reference. My hand hurts less and I can easily predict the next sensitivity level.

When you raise your middle point pressure above the half, you will never get a line. Always a curve. I don't like it, cause it gets way harder to hit the 100% level and when it gets near the end, you will have to make exponential increases in your pressure, which I find less predictable. For example, 1% increase will be 3% in sensitivity, then 1% will be 5%. You get the picture.

Not saying it's that much of a deal, if it works for you, great! hahaha

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Hey all,

I tried the curve tool (see pic to see the service I'm trying to modify). I was trying to get a linear modification by just changing the lower value and upper value and letting the tool automatically adjust the mid point. My lower value was 20 (to get an opacity of 1) and upper was 190 (to get max pressure of 256).
    Graph.jpg

However, I'm getting this error on my x230t (Win 7 HP, Wacom Feel Driver), pressure curve resets to default values:
    Warning.jpg

I tried to kill any tabletpc service prior to modifying the curve, but still getting errors (the tool was run as Admin, and I even told it to run in XP compatability mode). I'll try to do it manually as per thatcomicsguy instructions and see if that one sticks.

8. ron2k_1

Ok. So I got it to work, but I couldn't use the Curve Tool. So I did this in 6 easy steps [faster if done with the batch files provided] (of course all credit goes to thatcomicsguy, as he provided all the research):

1. Go to Control Panner > Administrative Toos > Services. Stop "WTabletServiceISD" and "TabletSVC". These are the names. Under Services, the descriptions will show as "Wacom ISD Service" and "Tablet Service" respectively.

2. Download and install a notepad reader that has line view. I use NotePad++ for free (there are other like NotePad2 if you prefer).

3. Open in NotePad++ (Backup file somewhere before modifying it if things go wrong)
    C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\WTablet\ISD_Tablet.dat

Everything up this point I do with a batch file
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/10iwbtqtepkyij0/StopServices.bat
    [Run as Admin. ie. Download file, right click on it, and click on Run as Admin]
    [You will have to know what is the name of the services first before you can use my file. go to Services (see point 1 above), look for the service that says Wacom ISD or Tablet ISD Service, right click on them, Properties, and get their Name (not the description). Right click on the batch file, Edit, and change to your service name is. And of course you'll also need to modify what program opens the file. I use NotePad++, modify the path to the program you use if you need to.

4. On my copy of the ISD_Tablet.dat file, I modified line 1099 <PressureCurveControlPoint type="string"> to the following:
    20 0 127 80 220 254
    Go to http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sof...sitivity-beyond-wacom-s-allowed-settings.html to see what those values mean:

5. I also modified the following lines:
    Line 1098 <LowerPressureThreshold type="integer">. I changed it to 18
    Line 1102 <UpperPressureThreshold type="integer">. I changed it to what ever is my first value in Point 4 above. In my case, 20

NOTES
    According to the curve tool developer site:
    Lower threshold
    Value that limits the pen sensor input and protect the user from misreads on the lower end of the sensor (pen).

Upper threshold
    Value that determines level of pressure required for driver to register pen as mouse with pressed button

6. Go to Control Panner > Administrative Toos > Services. Start "WTabletServiceISD" and "TabletSVC". These are the names. Under Services, the descriptions will show as "Wacom ISD Service" and "Tablet Service" respectively. I guess you can simply restart the machine, but restarting the services sometimes work. I do it via batch file as well [Run as Amdin]:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzqedcpxr29kjgk/StartServices .bat
    [Change the services name to whatever name your system use the respective ISD Services]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    T-ravisty likes this.
  9. dream3

Thanks a lot for that ron2k!

But I did not get the practical implications regarding upper and lower threshold. Could you explain those by giving real examples? I'm not quite sure whether I should tweak those.

10. ron2k_1

Ok. I didn't like the definition given by the Curve Tool developers in those two parameters so I made a little bit of research. I didn't dig much as I have loads of things to do at work so this is what I think it is:

I think those values have nothing to do with the pressure curve, i.e, when pressing and holding the pen and then dragging and changing pressure as you draw. I think those are for clicks: right and left click pressure sensors. In my case Upper is 20 (this has to match the lower value on the pressure curve string, which in my case is also 20). My Lower is 18.

How these work I beehive is: 18 levels of pressure with pen the device will register a Click (right click If done with side button on default settings). At 20 or more levels which is my Upper parameter the device will not register a Click and instead will give you a pressure curve depending on the curve settings you've specified on on the line "PressureCurveControlPoint"

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk