Any tips for a better pressure curve on a tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by T-ravisty, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey all,

Sorry for taking a while to post back.

I can confirm that "Tablet Pressure Curve Tool" does indeed work under Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit!
    To get the pressure change to take effect you have to first alter the pressure curve and then restart the computer.

"Tool is not designed for 64-bit systems, but it includes some basic support so it might work…" - If anyone else wishes to try this out on a 64-bit system to confirm that would be reassuring for other members.
    I'm going to assume under a 32-bit system you don't have to restart the computer?

@dream3: How'd you go with the Compatibility Mode on Win 8? Are you using 32 or 64-bit?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey dude!

Actually I haven't test that yet.

I read this at their website:

"Because of problems with tablet tool on 64-bit system there is a mini-guide how to restart service quick and easy…"

And I got a little afraid of messing things up even more with the surface pro. These last weeks have been a nightmare for part of the surface owners due to faulty firmware/hardware updates. Device has several issues...

However I do plan on testing it after microsoft is done with fixing their product! haha

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. dream3

@Steve: STEVE MY MAN, thanks for linking that topic! Ive done it with the surface pro! Tweaked the pressure curve without any additional software and hassle-free! It feels much more of a cintiq right now. That's great :)

@T-ravisty: Haha don't think I need that app anymore! It's pretty simple to tweak the .dat file to the pressure I wanted, which is roughly this:

0% pressure = 0 points.
    40% pressure = 512 points.
    80% pressure = 1024 points.

That way is exactly what intuos/cintiqs driver allow us to do! You have a straight inclined line that brings the needed 100% pressure down, making it easier to achieve high opacity values. I can finally make a decent light-handed value scale in surface pro!

T-ravisty likes this.
  5. T-ravisty

Yeah, I've also followed suit to change the .dat file manually.

This is great, after months of having to press with mid-level pressure to make a light line I can now sketch light-handily and it feels so much more like my Intuos (which I haven't used since I got my x230t - Might be worthwhile selling it, I love drawing on-screen too much now).

If anything these tools and the thread by thatcomicsguy (thanks for linking to the thread Steve S) has changed the whole drawing experience altogether.

I'll make a copy of the .dat file for each program I use maybe and replace when needed (one for PS, SBP, AR, Flash).
    I find at default SBP has a nice pressure curve, PS is the most temperamental one I've used.

I'm sold even more-so now that the pressure difference between this old TPC tech and the newer Cintiq/Intuos' is just a marketing ploy.
    This is a godsend. Thanks for everyone's help!

I'll have to go update some info on my x230t review to give this new experience to help others interested in the TPC world.

dream3, can you post the difference of the before and after of the edited .dat of your Surface Pro?
    I'm really interested in the device myself, last I spoke to you you were saying you had issues with it.
    Has your opinion of the device changed considerably with this .dat edit or is it still "in the air"?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm using windows 7 and I am finding all kinds of wacom .dat files. Which one is rthe one to edit??
    I've found:

C:/windows/system32/config/systemprofile/appdata/roaming/Wtablet
    -ISD_tablet.dat
    -Wacom_tablet.dat

"username"/appdata/roaming/Wtablet
    -ISD_tablet.dat
    -Wacom_tablet.dat

although all 4 files are different, how am I supposed to know which one is the one storing all my pressure data?

Also, does this effect the pressure curve when just the windows driver (not wintab) is being used? Like in Sketchbook Pro or CSP?

thanks guys!

7. T-ravisty

@Stoneseeker:

I'm using Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, the .dat is under:

C:\Users\"user name"\AppData\Roaming\WTablet\ISDTablet.dat

It affects the Windows driver, so all pressure registration is changed in all programs, PS, SBP, AR, ect...

When you open the .dat you'll want to find the "PressureCurveControlPoint" and alter those digits; I recommend following thatcomicsguy's thread for instruction.

Alternatively "Tablet Pressure Curve Tool" works just fine and is good for a visual guide, saves having to tinker the digits manually to find the exact "sweet spot".

Let us know how it goes, and if it causes any issues with the t902 in terms of accuracy or jitter as from what I've read it does get a bit temperamental...

8. dream3

@Travis: I'll try to make to compare the before/after and post the results here.

That lack of pressure customization was one of my major issues with it, yes! Being able to tweak that really improved the overall experience.

It's a great device and if you can live with the 10 inch screen, it´s the best.

Now, what numbers did you set in your .dat file?

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

OK so I ran the little pressure curve program as administrator and it worked great for me and was quick and nice to test out the difference.
    I settled on: 12 0 123 145 254 254 / upper threshold 12 lower threshold 10 (you can press show current values to see this without having to locate them in the .DAT)

When you guys run yours does it say: multiple services detected, which tablet service would you like to modfy? I had 3 to choose from. one was greyed out and was for the cintiq 15x, but the other 2 were identified for the wacom ISD. I wonder if I have competing services for some reason. Anyone else notice the 2 sets of .dat files???

post your numbers! I am trying to figure out how to get a more extreme sensitivity. in other words, more control of the light stroke. I dropped threshold to 12 which is probably good, but the middle point and curve I've yet to figure out how I want it to look... lower the mid point? its puzzling, because when I tweaked it extreme it seemed the wacom driver just gave me no light touch at all instead.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. dream3

I had no issues at all as I have only one file in my surface pro.

However, how did you figure out what the lower and upper threshold stand for? I didnt get the concept behind them, what exactly are their effects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.