Any tablets coming with 32 gb ram and stylus with barrel rotation?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by michaelws, Sep 29, 2017.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looking to buy a 32 gb model for larger canvases and a stylus other than the Art pen by Wacom that has barrel rotation. Pie in the sky?

Also is there an insurance company that will insure the Wacom Studio Pro model for longer than the one year Wacom offers?

Thanks for any gossip or links on any of these.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Barrel Rotation is still Wacom Art Pen only, but they haven't updated the Art Pen for the newer digitizers....so that one would be more like Pie in Space.

And I'm fairly certain there are no Penabled Tablet PCs rocking 32GB. The adoption of 16GB itself is still quite recent. In another few years maybe....but I see 16GB still being the max for a good while. And thats probably for the better right now. if your working on a Photoshop file that could devour 32GB of Ram.....I'd imagine you would have more of an issue with the Mobile low voltage CPU keeping up.

michaelws likes this.
  3. michaelws

Thanks Dark...appreciate your help and advice...always. I still like the Art Pen...if only for the barrel rotation. I am going to start a new thread asking about getting a new desktop machine and what would be the optimum, if money is not an obstacle. I have been saving for quite a while. Now that I am semi-retiring from traditional oil and acrylic painting (semi is the key...never fully retire from 50 years of easel painting) I am looking to jump in to doing some serious digital work (for printing) and am looking to get the most powerful desktop I can get but I really need help from you folks here. Of course I will probably get a Wacom Cintiq for that also...but I don't want to throw my bucks out on a desktop workstation that is not optimum for programs like Corel Painter. I do also 3D work but that is not the main focus.

Thanks again for your helpful reply here.

4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Saying money is no obstetrical when it comes to maxing out a productivity workstation could get real expensive fast. For example a regular high end Nvidia gaming card could come in at $700 ish but an Nvidia Quadro pro graphics card will be more like $5000. Then you will need everything else to match that level, which jacks up the price throughout the component selection, including expensive monitors that allow you to appreciate all that high end hardware.

You can build a pretty respectable system for around $2.5k which will be very impressive imho. If you intend rendering professional 3D animations and meet deadlines then you may need to spend more. For a decent home workstation $2.5k should get you something you would be happy with, that will still be a performer in a few years time, plus there will be incremental upgrades available if you decide to move with the times.

michaelws likes this.
  5. michaelws

I am not sure what obstetrical means in this context (maybe something about birthing such a high-end system) but I thank you for your reply and I will check into workstations around that price range.

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think @Shizaru meant to type "obstacle." But obstetrical is an interesting choice as it equates making the perfect hardware choice with child birth, which isn't too far off!

michaelws likes this.
  7. michaelws

exactly!

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

lmao, spelling never was my strong point, I would like to call typo but that would be a little difficult with the additional t and e wedged in there?

9. michaelws

A Freudian thingy! I liked it!

surfaceproartist and Shizaru like this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

In my opinion, it's a waste of money spending too much on pumping up a desktop machine for Corel Painter.
    It's a very demanding software with certain brushes, yet it never becomes very optimized to take full advantage of multicore cpu's. This translates in the fact you may not see much gain in performance going from a 4 cores to a 6-8 cores.
    Same goes for the amount of ram: you would probably want 32gb, yet going to 64 may not make much difference with it.
    I don't know if it makes any use of the video card though.
    It's just... weird.