Any retailers sell Fujitsu tablets?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Mlalahoi, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwflyboy

nwflyboy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm inching closer to a purchase decision....I'm nearly ready to order a Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 from Costco.com (for a variety of reasons, I'm leaning towards buying it from them, not the least of which is their return policy: within the first 90 days after purchase, if I decide I don't like it I can return it for a full refund, no hassles, no "restocking fees"...and with a "new Fujitsu mystery tablet" apparently on the horizon, I'd like to keep my options open).

But -- like so many potential tablet customers -- I've never seen one of these things in the flesh (one of the reasons that Tablets have not become more popular, IMHO). And bfore plunking down my $2000 (for a T4220, 2.2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB 5400 RPM HD, XGA, etc.) I'd like to look at one and maybe even touch it. But I don't know of anyplace that I could do that.

Does anyone know if any of the major electronics retailers (Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.) stick these?

2. cheesetogo

cheesetogo Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure if you have a MicroCenter nearby, but they do carry the T4220.

3. nwflyboy

Sadly, no -- looks like the nearest Micro Center is a long ways away (I'm in Seattle, they're in California).

4. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

Fry's carries them. The general website says sold out of the t4220 but you might want to give the store a call and see if they have one, i also beleive that a new batch was supposed to come out of fujitsu on the 30th so maybe they will get some more soon. I don't know how far this is from Seattle but there is a store in Renton, WA. Contact info below:

Renton, WA 800 Garden Ave. North 98055 (425) 525-0200

Good luck and I STRONGLY recommend laying hands on a tablet before you buy it. I almost made a mistake and ordered something I would NOT have been happy with (p1620) but after demos found the perfect solution for me (t2010).

5. nwflyboy

Oh, Fry's isn't far...I can swing by there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up.

I agree that it's a good idea to lay hands on a tablet before buying one (more so than a lot of other computers). Of course, that's not always easy (or even possible) for many people. Heck, I live in a big, tech-savvy city, and it's still a challenge for me.

Thanks.

6. nwflyboy

I went to Frys today and checked out a 4220. As is so typical of Frys (and most other retailers), the machine was in no condition to really run -- battery and expansion bay were empty (gee, it's pretty light without that stuff!), there was no stylus available (one sales guy went and scrounged some simple plastic stylus from a handheld or something, and expected it to work), no apps were working, dozens of junk files littering the desktop, all sorts of failed installations so there were various alerts popping up...just a mess. Of course it was tethered and plugged in, so you couldn't really make it work in slate mode even if they had found a stylus. Gee, I wonder why they don't sell many of them? But I digress.

Overall I like the unit. Seemed reasonably light (had to guess though since the battery was missing). Display was pretty good. It was running XP, though, so I couldn't judge performance under Vista.

So I came home, thought it over, and decided to go ahead and order one from Costco.com (I'll have up to 90 days to decide whether or not to keep it; they have a great return policy). It should be here in about a week. I'll undoubtedy have a string of questions then....

Thanks for the help so far and thanks in advance for the help to come. :D

7. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

YUK! Living in China i am spoiled by the experience in shops, they will bring out an actual model with a fresh install, battery in, proper stylus, etc. and let you use the machine for 20 min with no worries. Your description brings back bad memories of trying to demo units in retail shiops in the US. Anyway glad to hear you got your hands on one and pulled the trigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.