Any regrets about getting the R1F?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by chiphead, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiphead

chiphead Pen Pal - Newbie

About to order an R1F, and it seems like the R1F has some teething issues- the static issue, the pen scratching and the wobbly swivel. Are there any other problems that might be a show-stopper?

2. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Overall, I don't regret my purchase at all. The only other computer that I would think about is the X60 from lenovo because it has multi-touch, or a high res screen. But I don't like the 12" form factor, 13" widescreen is perfect for me.

3. dantheman

dantheman Pen Pal - Newbie

the only thing that bothers me about the r1f is some of the weird driver issues (i.e. screen toggle button goes wacky, doesn't come out of hibernate well, etc) other than that i love it. it seems to be the best buy for the money. :D i love the screen size and the weight!!! it is light compared to some of the other tablets that are around the same price.

so.........no regrets:)

4. Peregrine

Peregrine Pen Pal - Newbie

No regrets here, I've experienced very few of the issues mentioned but I've had mine less than a week.

5. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah it has it's small quirks, but overall it's a very good buy.
    The screensize is near perfect and the performance is also excellent.
    I don't regret it.

6. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I would add battery life to the list of key issues. For me it is the #1 issue, and I'd say to hold off if battery life is something that would matter to you.

I'd hardly consider the pen scratches or the wobbly swivel issues for the vast majority of users.

dantheman is right about the wacky drivers - not only to they behave oddly in some circumstances, but the load order is odd. This can create some problems with logging in using slate mode. This is my 2nd Tablet, so I'm pretty sure this isn't an OS issue but relates to how the drivers are written and run. This shouldn't be a deciding factor for most people, but if you're wanting a very smooth running machine (as opposed to a pretty smooth running machine) then the Asus might slip a bit compared to some competition. This is probably "first tablet model" quirks and maybe Asus will straighten this stuff out eventually.

7. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Static issue: Highly annoying, but work-aroundable. On XP, it's pretty much cleared up ( for me ) with driver updates. On Vista, I expect it will get better.

Pen scratches: A non-issue. Yes, there are small scratches, but it's a black-on-black scratch that you can wipe away as you hold the pen. No one is going to notice scratches on the pen as you hold it.

Wobbly swivel: A non-issue. One person was worried about it around launch time, but I have not seen it mentioned on the boards since. For me, there's no problem at all.

I've had 7 or 8 laptops in my time ( maybe more -- work kept giving me new ones ). The R1F is hands down the best notebook I have ever had. It's got great power, a flexible modular bay and a good size screen. ( I much prefer this than toting around my last 15.4" monster ). My optical drive was DOA, but replaced very quickly by friendly, competent service staff.

Nitpicks: VGA port instead of DVI. I wish the NA version had a T7xxx processor. I would have liked a firewire port.

That's about it. Go buy one.

8. R D E

R D E Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes it does have the niggles that I am sure you are aware of but I have No regrets, best computer I have ever bought.

Highlights for me:

The excellent screen: Size, resolution, brightness...everythings perfect about the most used part of the notebook. (well, if ya picky it is slightly grainy, like a Nintendo DS touch screen because of the thick protective layer on top)

It being a tablet pc: The first tablet pc I have ever owned and I am never going back, recently I have used it to write all my maths revision on. When I made mistakes and scribbles on the exam (which is a pen and paper affair) I found myself reaching for the rubber on windows journal because I am so used to using the tablet pc to write on. I have only had it a month!

TV out: Connects to my tv with ease and allows for great video file viewing.

Integrated wifi: Turns on and off with a flick of a switch. Good range on it too.

Finger print reader: hehe

Slot in DVD drive
    : Yes it is quite noisy like most notebook dvd drives, but sliding in CD/DVD's is a lot better than the tray method.

Finally its also quite lightweight, cool looking, very quiet, well built and I love the cool brown case, I slide it back in there after every use. :cool:

9. chiphead

chiphead Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.