Any recommendations for top of the line art workstation desktop computer?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by michaelws, Sep 29, 2017.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have been saving, not quite there yet but close, to get the best workstation I can buy for 2D art. I use Corel Painter 2018 right now. I also like PaintstormStudio an dabble a bit in ArtRage. Secondary is my use of Blender 3D and Zbrush and 3D-Coat. But I want to hook up a Wacom Cintiq to this, with the Art pen for barrel rotation.

Can anyone here give me some links or guidelines for making this type of purchase? I don't know much about CPU's and GPU's so and idiots guide is more along the lines of what I need. I don't want to make a hasty purchase.

thanks for any input on this topic.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

You could checkout some videos on Ytube discussing the new AMD threadripper processor and 1080 gpu's for productivity builds.

3. michaelws

Am looking at some of those vids now. Thanks Shizaru.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Out is interest - not that I'm ever going to pay $1200 for a CPU alone - would you mind posting the specs and final cost of what you find? I read Shizaru's post and did some research on thread ripper CPUs and one seemed to recommend 128GB ram modules which seem to come out at $700 each.

Just really curious how much this monster workstation would come out at.

5. michaelws

Might still be a couple of months out yet doobie but I will post back what I find and what I get

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. Shizaru

Many of the people heavily into Threadripper are into serious virtualisation, ai development type projects, virtual reality, heavy video and 3D editing/rendering etc. It's not quite as costly as it first appears when you consider you can have multiple machines all running in a single box, or combine the power to crunch through complex compute tasks. The power and space savings alone makes it worth while if you have one machine acting as multiple machines, crunching away for hours if not days or weeks at a time. The memory needs to be error correcting. Memory gets expensive when you start going for the large capacity high performance modules. $700 dollars for 128GB isn't so bad, it would cost a lot more if you brought eight 16GB modules and there are only so many slots on a board. With one Threadripper and 128GB of RAM you could have 4 x 4 core machines with 32GB of RAM each all siting in one case.

If you're rendering large 3D animations or movies scenes the quicker you can get things processed the more jobs you can get done saving time and money. Virtual and augmented reality is also quite demanding and over time will be optimized for greater numbers of cores.

This guy gives his real world opinion on Threadripper performance using a high end workstation someone might build for pro/semi pro home use.

You can jump to the relevant point here @6:31.

It all comes down to what work you need to get done and/or the savings you can make getting more done with less hardware.

16 cores and 32 threads for $1000 is pretty amazing and it's going to seriously shake up the processor market.

Then there are the AMD Epic 32 core server parts.

Marty likes this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, that's a different way of looking at it - one review I read talked about maximising the capacity of a thread ripper and filling up with the latest version of 128GB modules.

$1200 for a CPU and 2TB of RAM means you have a computer that would just rip through any task but you're also talking abut something probably only big studios or physics simulators would be running.

Kudos to AMD for coming up with this, but I guess for analogy, I'm like a normal car driver looking at a Indy or Formula 1 car engine thinking - "wow..."

Shizaru likes this.
  8. Shizaru

You might find some interesting/useful technical tips/info from this video for things related to the platform.

Wendell does thorough reviews and his knowledge is excellent and he delivers the info well imho. The level 1 Tech forum is also full of knowledgable people willing to share advice and information. If you have questions that's a great place ask them, especially for component advice when you finalise a build.

Website: https://level1techs.com/ Forum: https://forum.level1techs.com/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    michaelws likes this.
  9. michaelws

Thanks Shizaru your posts have been a great help.

10. Shizaru

Glad you found some of the info useful. I meant to post this link in the post above and I totally forgot about it so here it is https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ if you're not familiar with that site it helps you spec a build with various filters and the selection lists are cross referenced for compatibility etc.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017