Any recommendations for Screen Protectors for SP 4?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by michaelws, Mar 5, 2019.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the Paper-like doe my iPad. Is there a good one for the Surface Pro 4? For drawing apps. Thanks

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@michaelws : Sorry about the delayed response to your question. This was a busy week.

To the point; I would recommend that you look at the Photodon series of screen protectors:

https://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protective-Films.html

In the past, I have found MXH and MXT to be good choices primarily for glare reduction with only minor effects to screen acuity or color. Since Photodon varies the matte finish of their films to do this, there is also an effect on pen feel. Of course, deciding where it might feel "paper-like" depends on personal preference. If you wish, Photodon will provide a pack of 2" x 2" samples of several of their films at a modest price so that you can try each one for yourself:

https://www.photodon.com/c/film-samples.html

After that you can order a screen protector using whatever film you like best:

https://www.photodon.com/p/6901-01.html

Good luck.

3. michaelws

Thanks Steve. I was hoping for something other than Photodon. I have used them in the past but I was never able to get them on without bubbles and dust that last time I tried them. Even with a two-pack I was unsuccessful. I will check them out again. Paperlike had a nice system of installation.

Thanks for your reply. Very much appreciate your taking the time.

4. Steve S

<<...I was hoping for something other than Photodon…>>

@michaelws : There are many brands of screen protectors that are available for the Surface Pro. I took a look at Paper-Like, but it doesn't appear that they offer a custom size for the Surface Pro. However, if you really like that brand and the nib on your Surface pen feels OK with it, I suppose that you could always buy one and trim it down to fit?

Regarding Photodon, I tend to recommend them because they offer a series of graded matte finishes, and you can try several of them before you have to get serious about buying a specific grade. Also, many current brands of screen protector are tempered glass with glossy surfaces, and I know you aren't interested in that.

HOWEVER, it's also clear (no pun) that what makes you unhappy with Photodon is the difficulty of installing it. For whatever reason, I've been pretty successful installing screen protectors of all types, so perhaps I can offer a few tips:
    • Before you attempt to install a new screen protector, a couple of things should make the job a little easier. Get a pair of snug-fitting plastic, latex or nitrile rubber gloves. You can typically get these at home improvement stores in the paint department or at drug stores. Be sure that they fit snuggly. Also, get a container of "canned air" and some scotch tape.
    • Choose a well-lit area where the air is still. Still air minimizes dust settling. Some people recommend running the shower in a bathroom, but I've never needed anything that elaborate.
    • Put on the gloves. Take a lint-free cloth and wipe down the tablet screen. With the canned air, blow off the screen, both sides of the screen protector (with the protection sheets still in place) and your gloves. Be thorough. Take a strip of scotch tape and wind it, sticky side out, on your third finger, ring finger or pinkie, whichever finger is dexterous enough to move around. As you hold the screen protector between you thumb and forefinger, you will use the scotch tape to pick up any errant dust particles.
    • OK; showtime. I typically start laying the screen protector along the long edge of the screen (since it results in better alignment). Pull back the protection sheet from the adhesive layer, and align along the edge. Once the edge is fully attached, continue to pull back the protection sheet and continue to lay the screen protector onto the tablet screen. If you see a dust spec, use the scotch tape on your finger to pull it off. If an air bubble develops, pull the screen protector up just enough to vent it. You can also use one hand to resmooth the screen protector as you continue to lay it down. One thing that may help to minimize bubbles; as you apply the screen protector, push gently on the free edge (the edge you are holding) to "force" the screen protector down onto the tablet screen. I know this is not very clear... it's hard to describe. I'll try to add a little illustration later when I have more time.
    • Continue until the screen protector is fully down. You may still have an air bubble or two, especially near the edges, so use a plastic credit card or a stiff cardboard card to "wipe" the air bubbles to the edges.
    I hope you find this helpful. Good luck on your next attempt.

michaelws likes this.
  5. Steve S

Hope this makes it a little clearer...

sp.JPG

michaelws likes this.
  6. michaelws

I am speechless Steve. I do not think I have ever typed such a lengthy and in-depth reply. Nor can I recall even a letter or anything that I have written in the past few years that match what you have written here. I am humbled and in reply will go ahead and try Photodon once more. If it works I will write to them and let them know exactly why I tried their product again.

I humbly thank you. There are no words to express my gratitude for your having taken the time to offer such help.

7. Steve S

@michaelws - Thank you for your kind words. I hope that you have better success with Photodon this time around.

I've written about this method probably five or more times on different tablet sites (TabletPCBuzz, GottaBeMobile, RobBushway...) only to have the web sites change focus, fold or go inactive so that the write-up is lost. I just hope that writing about it... again... on this web site doesn't cause a calamity!!!