Any place to actually buy Thinkpad 8 with 4gb Ram and 128gb hard drive?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by swanlee, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

One question if I put Win 10 on this tablet and did a factory reset would it go back to Factory Win 8 or would it revert back to a clean Win 10 install?

I'm not exactly thrilled with Win 10 on tablets due to lack of touch web browser, missing swipe features and other bugs but would almost be willing to give it a try since I'm already having issues. If I went Win 10 and it did not work I'd want to revert it back to Win 8.1 to sell it.

2. swanlee

Ok so I did a reset and tested things out before updates and the tablet works much better. As sunfox suspected these drivers from MS update really screwed things up. I made some restore points before updates. I will do all 200 windows updates, see how things work then skip the wifi and display updates.

Wifi gets 80-90 mbps on speedtest where before with updated drivers I was getting 50-60. Xfinity works much better now as well. I also shutdown several times and wifi picked up correctly

I hope things are still working well after the updates then I will tackle battery tweaks.

3. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

By default I think the tablet comes running Microsoft-signed drivers that end in 168 (please do check - I'd like to know - and there's also a Broadcom-signed 168 version that's supposedly not as good). While those do work better for most, I would still suggest making the advanced network changes I recommended, and also disabling fast startup which will kill your battery as-is. I read through some threads discussing these very problems on Lenovo's official forums; I'm not just pulling this stuff out my butt! :)

Also, I personally didn't find the .168 drivers stable enough, but the ones I indicate have been worlds better for me. Although, many DID find 168 worked for them.

Regarding factory reset - I have no idea if the TP8 has a factory recover partition image or not. If you're using Windows built-in recovery and not an image, then if running W10 it would likely reset back to W10...

4. swanlee

Found the fast start setting and changed it

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  5. Sunfox

Power Options -> click on any of the left options (like "Require a Password on Startup"), click the little link at the top for "Change settings that are currently unavailable", and then look further down the page under Shutdown Settings and remove the tick from "Turn on fast startup (recommended)". When this is enabled, more often than not the tablet does not actually shut down and sits there eating battery power with the screen and power LED off (if you hit the Windows key and the unit vibrates, it's not off).

6. swanlee

Is their anyway to turn off the haptic feedback on the windows button? Finding it kind of annoying. Also what start up items are safe to disable? Seeing alot of Lenovo specific stuff.

Also thanks form your help sunfox this tablet might be a keeper after all

7. Sunfox

Sadly, I don't think there's a way to disable it - I think it's BIOS controlled rather than Windows controlled. You CAN disable the entire button, though (leaving you with having to use the charm bar).

If you find any issues let me know... remember, the model is a couple years old, so a LOT of stuff has already been figured out!

8. swanlee

Wow just when I think I've got this tablet working fine then the touchscreen become unresponsive. might be hardware ugg, is their any way to factory reset using button combinations? Worst tablet experience ever looks like $600 down the tubes. It will sometimes let me log in then bam no touch screen. Not enough time to do anything to try and fix it in windows. I've dealt with alot of pc's and tablets over the years and have never ever gone through this much trouble just to get a tablet working. Crappy thing is if the touch screen issue doesn't fix itself I can't even sell it

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  9. Sunfox

What do you mean by "factory reset"? If you mean like back to basic Windows... what device has EVER had that? If you mean force a reboot, stick a paperclip into the reset hole, or plug in a keyboard.

Did you try to calibrate the screen or something? That would explain why it only stops working once Windows is loaded. You can reset the calibration using a keyboard/mouse.

Try checking the device manager for anything wonky with the "I2C HID Device".

10. swanlee

Yea this display is toast, I think the unit was faulty from the get go, on the left side near the camera side by itself it is acting like area's are being pressed and the display is jumping around like something is pressing the touch screen at all angles. The calibration I was trying never took as the touch screen would start being unreponsive during the calibration screen so I'd have to cold boot it during the process. I got it to boot in and am doing another windows reset and am going to try and get the seller to allow me to return the tablet.

Lenovo says the tablet is out of warranty and I'd either have to pay to extend the warranty or have $650 charged to my credit card and they would refund me the difference for the actual repair. I've only had this tablet a few days and it has been nothing but problems so I'm not going to invest anymore money in it. The few times it was working it was nice but the battery drain was horrid I could almost watch the percentages tick off on the battery meter, maybe another indicator of an actual hardware issue.

Thanks for everyone's help sorry to be such a bugger with all this but I really appreciate this community and the help they gave but it is without a doubt a hardware issue that seems to be getting worse. Maybe the box got banged around to much in shipping as the item did not come in it's original box and was bubble wrapped in a box.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016