Any place to actually buy Thinkpad 8 with 4gb Ram and 128gb hard drive?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by swanlee, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Ugg so after getting everything setup still have the shut down wifi issues restart and everything is fine, battery life is pretty horrible, I'm talking 3-4 hrs and the xfinity live TV streaming website that worked great on my Acer W4 is blocky and totally crap watching live TV on this. Looks like a dud for me and I'm going to reset it and sell it on ebay, what a total bummer can't believe the horrible luck I'm having simply trying to replace my Acer W4 with a tablet with more memory and a higher res screen.

Onda - no deal
    Thinkpad 8 - equally as frustrating

Looks like I'm going to sell both these tablets and try my luck at an HP 608, throttling issues and all, what a crappy turn of events 8 inch windows tablets have turned out to be. The older gen Baytrails were so good and stable I did not really see much benefit at all in this more powerful Baytrail it eats battery like their is no tomorrow and the GPU can't seem to readily keep up with the higher resolution screen. Maybe the HP 608 will work out with it's better GPU.

If the HP is a dud I'll just stick with my Acer W4 till the end of time, I would have figured their be a real upgrade by now

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

You've had it for mere hours! Calm down. What issues are you having? Wifi? I've found drivers and settings that work way better than the out-the-box or Windows update drivers. Shut down issues? There's one where the unit doesn't seem to want to fully shut off or even turn on again, but that's an easy one-click fix.

3. swanlee

The wifi issue I'm having is when I shut down the tablet and cold boot it comes up and wifi has a red X and says no network could be found. If I restart, or disable and re-enable the wifi card in device manager it finds the network. Other issues are with the Xfinity TV streaming site, it allows you to watch live TV like your tablet is a portable cable box, and is a pretty bad deal breaker for me, I use my little tablet to watch live TV daily, video is garbled and not watchable on the thinkpad works great on the Acer. The other issue I'm having is horrible battery life 2-4 hrs. Brightness is turned way down, Bluetooth and LTE are disabled. Not sure what else to turn off to extend it

So even if Wifi issue is fixed the Xfinity site issue that works perfectly on my Acer and the Battery issue are going to be deal breakers. I was hoping for 6-7 hours on the thinkpad, my acer gets 11 hrs, 2-4 hrs is not acceptable.

I did a reset and am willing to give it one more shot what wifi drivers can I try out? Where do you Down load them?

4. Sunfox

I noticed that my ASUS VivoTab 8 used the exact same Broadcom ABGN SIDO WiFi adapter, which is apparantly known to have really bad drivers, but oddly enough I very rarely had any issues with it compred to the new TP8 that had constant issues (like, no network after booting, or Limited within minutes). So I checked the ASUS driver - and it's using v5.93.103.8, which is kind of middle-of-the-road versus the stock Microsoft-signed Windows driver and the newer Broadcom-signed Windows Update driver (neither of which worked for me). But, the ASUS is running a 32-bit OS and not 64-bit.

I was unable to find the exact same driver revision in 64-bit, but found one very close: v5.93.103.7 available on this page: http://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/589/0/4/41/

On that page you can also find a .10 version which may or may not work (didn't try). If you can't get Wifi stable enough to download the driver, switch the card back to using the Microsoft-signed .168 driver version that will still be on the system, which is more stable than the update.

Based on research into the problem I also made some advanced network setting changes:

20/40 Coexistence - Enabled
    Bandwidth Capability - 11a 20/40
    WMM - Enabled

If you continue to experience issues with it dropping into Limited mode, go to the Bluetooth device in Device Manager and under Power Management *DISABLE* the option to "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power".

Since this it's always booted with network, and has only once dropped to Limited mode after being powered on for a long time, which was easily corrected by toggling WiFi on/off from the charm menu.

5. swanlee

I'll give it a go with different drivers, I'm not having issue with it going to limited just turning it off and back on again when I do that wifi won't find any networks.

Unfortunately even if that issue is resolved I do not think this tablet will work for me, the Xfinity web streaming issue is a huge deal and the battery life is completely unacceptable for the price I paid. After one day's use it is already full of compromises compared to my old cheap Acer W4. I'm not spending this much to deal with compromises.

Things like this make me wish brick and mortar stores were not dead, Would be nice to buy from a real place and try out these tablets in a store first.

Only good thing is I should be able to unload it even for a slight loss and their is only one other Tablet to try out. I'm not going to bother with the new Dell the HP 608 is the only other reasonable option for me.

So my Onda is on Ebay and this one will be to in a couple of weeks. Really bummer of an experience I never dreamed my Acer would be all around better than the Thinkpad 8, I always looked at it's spec's and thought it was perfect for my needs.

6. Sunfox

Have you done a WiFi throughput test? A barely-functioning driver will not be conductive to smooth streaming video. And considering that this is only a more powerful version of the Acer, I can't see why there's anything inherent about the hardware or software that would cause reduced performance on one specific thing. What's CPU usage like while you're doing that? Tried toggling hardware acceleration on or off in the browser or Flash? Played around with the Intel driver's video settings?

Can't comment on battery life yet, except to say that Connected Standby is definitely back to what I remember... losing maybe 10% over 24 hours.

7. swanlee

Wifi throughput is fine when wifi is working, I get around 60MBPS from it to the internet. Already tried some things with java, thing is it only blows up on live sports streams switch to a drama or something and it plays correctly, Must be something about the codec they use for live sports. I'll hop to the acer go to the same channels and it plays fine.

So within one day of use

1. Wifi issues with shutdown and boot up
    2. Horrible battery life
    3. Performance issues streaming Xfinity

I only have so much patience for tweaking, After messing with the Onda I just don't have the time and energy to try tweaking something to death to get it to work. Plus these issues beside #1 probably won't be fixed by tweaks

The thinkpad is a more powerful Acer but the Acer runs at a lower res. I suspect the GPU in the thinkpad is not up to snuff pushing 1080P + in some cases. I also think the battery capacity is a mis match for the higher speed CPU and more memory. Mine eats batteries like a Gen 1 Windows 7 tablet. One of those things that looks good on paper but does not provide a balanced experience in real life.

Whatever the reason it is a shame and a real bummer that this tablet did not work right for me out of the box and my issues are probably not going to be resolved with driver downgrades tweaks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  8. Sunfox

The WiFi was utterly useless until I found a functional driver. I'm quite certain changing drivers would solve that particular issue.

Don't be fooled into thinking the HP is going to offer you any better battery life - they're basically the same wH (20.5 vs 21.0), and no one has so far shown that Cherry Trail efficiency is better than Bay Trail, so you're likely going to get the same. And remember, it's 37% higher resolution yet again, so any GPU gains is going to be swallowed up by that (and chew more battery).

I understand you not wanting to have to fight to get something to work, but I really don't think the HP is going to be as magically perfect out the box as you seem to think it's going to be, at least not in the area of battery life. I'm sure I could even troubleshoot your Xfinity problem, but we don't get that here.

You might want to try enabling "cool mode" to see how that affects battery life.
    Oh, and definitely DISABLE the WIndows "Turn on Fast Startup" option, as this is known to not work right on the TP8 and chews through battery for no good reason.

9. Sunfox

Heh, just for fun I tried playing back some difficult video files over WiFi... such as full 4K resolution h264, 2.7k 50mbit files direct from my GoPro, and full bitrate 1080p Blu-ray files with DTS-HD audio... and there were zero performance problems. The GPU/hardware power is definitely not the issue with Xfinity.

10. swanlee

Not surprised but this is a deal breaker for me and my Acer runs it fine. I don't know what it is, doesn't make sense that only live sports channels had issues, all the ESPN channels and local sports games had issues while premium non live stations played fine. This will just make it harder to pin down and fix. I'll try some tweaks through the weekend and if I'm still having these issues I'm going to post it on sale here next week.

I'm under no illusion that the HP 608 will be perfect either, I've read the threads and heard the horror stories. Thing is it's my last option for an Acer replacement and as quirky as things are with these Tablets maybe I will luck out and it will fit my needs. I'm going to buy it new from HP if I do and will return it if it screws up.