Any place to actually buy Thinkpad 8 with 4gb Ram and 128gb hard drive?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by swanlee, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

This think is like a unicorn

I know one was released but have never seen it for sale anywhere. I'm in the states and it's got the specs I want in an 8 inch tablet.

2. deryk

deryk Pen Pal - Newbie

The best I have seen is on ebay, coming from the UK. I don't understand why Lenova dropped this one for their new 8" style tablet. This machine could actually be used, not just a low powered ebook reader.

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. hlov

hlov Pen Pal - Newbie

Ebay germany sell them but I think only ship to EU

5. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Really lame I'd pay up to $500 for one but cannot find a 4GB Thinkpad 8 for sale anywhere

6. RicFoster

RicFoster Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,

Ive recently bought (9th Jan 2016) a Thinkpad 8 20BN0035UK for £230 having spent most of Xmas (to the gf’s annoyance) searching for one. Ive referred to this website a few times which helped in my research so for those of you still looking for this “unicorn” of a Tablet I thought id post and try and help you out.

First things first the version I have (20BN0035UK) is the second version of the Thinkpad 8 ie Z3795 2.39 GHz Quad, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD 64Bit Win 8.1 and 3G. This wasn’t easy to find by any stretch and seems to be pretty rare but still available. There is an upgraded version with 4G LTE (20BN0036UK) it seems this would be the holy grail of the TP8 However after many hours searching I only found one on Ebay.uk for well over £500 and I wasn’t going to spend upwards of £300 JUST for 4G vs 3G. All other specs the same

There are a few 20BN0035UK left on Amazon.co.uk but they only appeared recently (2nd Jan 2016) so seems old stock someone has stumbled across. Link below. I did happen to find a Swedish website which also says it has some in stock but I didn’t look further into this but maybe worth a look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thin...ch-2-39GHz/dp/B018EGQEAG/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

http://laptops.dk/product_info.php?products_id=6426

The other big factor that seems to concern people is the USB charging while using a docking station solution or simply attaching an external keyboard/HDD vis USB. Ive read on a number of sites (but haven’t verified myself) that many USB 3 Y cables DO NOT WORK with the TP8 and that only the Lenovo USB 3 Y cable works – So I bought 2 as a backup! – IF the TP8 proved to be a “unicorn” then the cable is “God”. Having looked on US/UK/Korean and Chinese websites ive only come across 1 site still stocking the cable. When I last looked there were 4, I bought 2 – Sorry chaps. Other cables MAY work but the internet seems to think otherwise so I didn’t want to take the risk, hence getting the Lenovo one. Link below

https://www.bluelink.nl/product/4X90G54343

Regarding the limited number of TP8 and the 1st version with the Z3770 & 2GB. The TP8 didn’t sell well in the west so they have moved the remaining stocks to China/Japan. Ive recently returned from a month visit in China (where I did much of my research for buying the TP8) and they have started to promote the OLD TP8 in the Lenovo stores but for atleast double the cost of the TP8 ive bought. So just be aware the OLDER version is more readily available but for a higher cost. That said I would NOT recommend buying the 2GB version. There are alternative, newer tablets out there with similar specs for similar cost and easier to purchase further Windows alone appears to be eating 2GB of ram for breakfast so im sure glad ive got the 4GB version.

Final words regarding my TP8 – As soon as I turned it on I upgraded to Win 10. This wasn’t immediately straight forward. Win 8.1 wanted to update itself, I then had 2 failed attempts to upgrade to Win 10. I found that I needed to unplug the TP8 from the wall and re-connected before Win 10 was successful. Im not sure why this made a difference. Once the Win 10 installer started everything was smooth. Win 10 works really well and its got some nice features for tablets but this isn’t a Win 10 review so ill stop there! – Ive tested the Lenovo Y cable and that works well with both a USB pen and Keyboard, ive not had time to test anything else yet and will be looking to get a USB dock to maximise the TP8 productivity and a replacement for my old Samsung N210 netbook, which I still love! But alas is 6 years old, no USB 3 and is pretty slow!

I really hope this helps those of you looking for the TP8 – This forum helped me so hopefully I can help you. If any of you have further questions just ask.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sunfox likes this.
  8. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I bit the bullet... and ordered the 4gb/128gb Thinkpad 8 from Ebay Germany. Having it shipped to a freight forwarder with a German address who will likely charge me about $150 in shipping, handling, duties and taxes to get it to me in Canada. We'll see what the total bill works out to, but I've used them before and they're not cheap. Thankfully they do have a 20% off coupon for my first shipment from Germany, which makes it a bit less horrific.

Or, the whole deal could end up cancelled, or become a huge mess. We'll see what happens. Thankfully the price of the tablet isn't that bad ($282 USD via Paypal) and there's enough buyer protection with eBay and Paypal combined..

9. RicFoster

RicFoster Pen Pal - Newbie

Keep us updated on the order!

Yes upwards of 40 euro for a single cable is a lot but it saves the hassle of shopping around for cables which may not work, and no to mention the time and frustration of failing cables. As i said many of the sites and reviews ive ready have found a number of failed cables, but thats just my experience - Either way, good luck!

10. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

Not much of an update, but eBay just let me know it's shipped... should be at the forwarder between Saturday and Monday, which is when I'll know what it'll cost to send home. Should have it by next week!

RicFoster likes this.