Any New Solutions to the Low Internal Microphone Volume?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by cyberbiker, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swhitney2003

swhitney2003 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is definitely not acceptable for even video conferencing. Other users had to turn their volume all the way up, and by that point could still only barely hear my voice. Background noise is horrific and makes conferencing awful. HP got my laptop, estimated delivery is about a week from now. Still not hopeful on any real results, but will definitely report back. I don't need any kind of speech recognition and I don't record lectures... if I can have a decent Skype call then I will be happy.

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'm sure this is a good mic, but for lectures, I'd want something more like this:
    http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

[​IMG]

Note the rubber feet that should isolate the mic from the vibrations coming from your desk. It is one directional, so it should only pick up the lecturer, and not the class, yet it's wide enough that it should still pick up the lecturer as the lecturer moves from one side of the board to the other. Also, it's about $20 cheaper.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'll repeat the comment made above... Built-in mics aren't good enough to capture a lecture. They're too small to pick up enough sound waves, they're often unidirectional so they face the wrong way when you're in slate mode, and they're not amped enough to pick up distant voices.

Okay, the mic above may not be all that useful, not unless you also use a preamplifier, which costs another $40. The preamp plugs into the USB port, which uses more power, and the microphone plugs into the preamp instead of the computer. The preamp is probably the best solution for any type of microphone that plugs into the microphone port. Here's one preamp.
    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-USB-MIC-ADAPTER
    [​IMG]

USB mics should be better, but they're few and far between, and as such, it's hard to find a good quality usb mic. Here's one that I seem to like, and will try to find at a local audio shop to test out.
    http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/c75c5918ed57a8d0/index.html
    [​IMG]

It's a little big at over 6" tall, but it comes from an established professional audio company. Most street prices are $120-150.

This is something I'll be using extensively next year if my physics teacher will allow me to record his lectures. I also plan to use a digital camera to drop pictures directly into Onenote. I'm going to use a digital camera that can be controlled from my computer. I hope to do a little programming to make it easy to start recording audio, and also to capture a picture from the camera and insert it into Onenote. The camera I'd use is either a Canon SX100 or A650is....only one allows for remote pc control, and I can't remember which one that is.

Btw, threads like this is why I'd like to see a General forum. This is a topic that spans multiple brands of tabletpc's, software and hardware accessories.

4. Propaganda Panda

Propaganda Panda Pen Pal - Newbie

My mic isnt even good enough for webcam ish stuff. like MSN live messenger, which I sue to talk to my daughter.

I look forward to your results SWhitney.

I saw that site earlier lefteye, I think i mayb pick up one of those mini USB mics, they are listed as omni directional, and since the built in mic is useless this might do. I'm also a physics major and I really want this stuff recorded, too much info to really only on notes i think.

5. swhitney2003

swhitney2003 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I got my notebook back today. As you might have guessed, nothing is different. I think they (the repair person) just saw it and shrugged it off, then reimaged my drive thinking that solved it... Well it didn't, it just made me lose everything and have my main account as "Test-pc". So I had to reinstall and do all my settings over again. Spoke with tech support tier 5 for over an hour, nothing was resolved. Monday I should be receiving a call from the 'case manager'. I don't plan on sending my laptop back anymore, takes too much time and gets no results. Maybe I'll get some kind of compensation, I can only be hopeful.

Anyways, I guess I am going to have to use a bluetooth headset and carry it with me, sucks but it's the easiest/most wireless option.

6. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

SW, I understand your frustration. We all have similar computers. HP undoubtedly instructs its employees not to admit errors, regardless of how evident.

Your computer didn't have a defective part the rest of us didn't have too. It was the one they chose and it wasn't up to par. All their tablets have them.

Thanks to you and others, they'll undoubtedly make changes in the future. But don't beat a dead horse. This is progress and learning... and the owners of future HP models will benefit. Raising it to a case manager is just reducing the quality of case manager service to everyone else. They can't call back every computer for the past several months to replace a mic (assuming they ahve a good one).

I too was inimpressed by the mic, which is why I started the thread. I suggest a reasonably cheap solution - the Plantronics .Audio 345. You can buy it on Amazon for $15, www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VELEKK .

7. zjee

zjee Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got the same problem!:mad:
    levels at 100% and boost on max will still not reach the required level and other parties only complain not able to hear me though live web sesions!

Seems like there is some more explaination to do by HP!? or Realtek?:confused:
    I've had them on the phone and walked though the whole list of bios update, driver installs,..... (No luck!) I can let them pick up my laptop now and they will look at it!? I will miss my laptop for 2-3 weeks there! For me un acceptable!

Has anyone already solved this issue?

8. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

Use an external mic is the only real solution..

9. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm going to have to disagree here. If HP is using low-quality parts that do not fulfill their primary function, there is something seriously wrong. Yelling into a microphone when your face is literally 3" from the mics just to get acceptable volume doesn't fly with me. High-level people at HP need to know that this is a serious flaw. With the tx line, it would not be surprising if 50-70% of the components are unchanged with the next version. The mic needs to be changed. If no one but a few low-level techs know about the issue, nothing is going to change and the next generation will be frustrated with the same issues.

I think it is the responsibility of HP to fix this problem, or otherwise compensate the tx2500z customers. If a listed feature is the microphone, I expect a working microphone, not one that is completely unusable. If I went to a car dealership and payed for a car with standard halogen headlights and the car had halogen lights that only reached 2 feet in front of the car (useless), I would be raising hell with the corporate.

On the other hand, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into it for the time being.

10. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

Problem solved. The last HP update of Realtek drivers on the TX2000z download site was Jan08. However, my Wimdows defaut settings no longer automatically changed when I plugged in a heaset with mic. Instead I ould have to play around with them each time I went from one mode to the other.

I went to http://www.realtek.com/downloads , and downloaded a newer version - the HD Audio Codec Driver package (R1.97) and installed it. It fixed all the mic and speaker problems that were caused by an earlier versions so the mic and speakers switch automatically. It also improved the mic volume.

The computer manufacturers don't have time to keep up with software updates (at least not HP) so they fall way behind.

Keep a copy of R1.97 on your computer. R1.98 just came out and it conflicted again. The mic and speakers no longer switched automatically and the speaker button wouldn't turn orange when on mute.

The only solution was to uninstall the faulty Realtek drivers using Control Panel>Programs and Features, then restart, let your computer automatically install it's default sound drivers (when I do this it installs the original Windows High Defininition Audio Device Driver 6.0.6000.16386 by Realtek dated 21Jun06), then reinstalls R1.97, which is v6.0.1.5653 dated 3Jul08. I followed this procedure and all works properly again.