Any New Solutions to the Low Internal Microphone Volume?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by cyberbiker, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

With XP I used speech recognition a lot. However, the tx2000z microphone just doesn't pickup and adequate voice strength even when I speak at twice normal conversational volume and the mic volume and boost controls are at max.

Anyone heard of any new methods to increase the volume on the internal mic? A work-around would be to use a headset, however, it would be a heck of a lot more convenient to be able to use the computer equipment as designed.

There are three other threads that have raised the problem in the past with no solution. Could drivers make a difference or will the problem last the life of the laptop?

tx-1327cl Mic Problems
    Tx2000 Microphone
    HP TX1000 Microphone Problem

2. calvin6

calvin6 Pen Pal - Newbie

bump this thread! would be nice to get this working for when i take to classes...

3. Carl2000

Carl2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

4. swhitney2003

swhitney2003 Pen Pal - Newbie

My tx2000z also has incredibly low pickup. Mic volume and boost to +30dB and my voice can still barely be heard (background noise is terrible). I spent atleast 30mins chatting with an HP rep, being told to do what I told her I already did. Eventually I tried flashing with the newer bios... no-go. I sent my laptop in, but I fear nothing will be fixed. I have not tried an external mic, but apparently it works just fine according to other posts. I can hardly make my mic volume get into the 'yellow' when calibrating. Only way I can get it to recognize something substantial is when I flick the microphone. I skype quite a bit, it would be nice to find some resolution that doesn't involve purchasing/adding on another mic. There is a built in mic, it should function.

5. Propaganda Panda

Propaganda Panda Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same issue, and I think sadly I'll have to buy an external mic. I think Cnet mentioned the mic is just piss poor.

6. cyberbiker

I find the mic works fine for Skype or yahoo Messenger. The other parties hear me fine. It is the vioce recognition software that can't seem to pick up enough volume. It just doesn't hear you speaking without a headset.

7. Carl2000

When I used OneNote with the integated microphone on the Tx2000 it was horrible. I not only recorded the lecturer, but also, the scribbles from writing in tablet mode and my forearm or wrist brushing against the mics.

However, I find the mic sufficient for video confrencing such as using yahoo messenger. I recommend using an external mic to get a better audio recordings and to cut down on unwanted noise. It's annoying having to carry extra accessories.

8. Propaganda Panda

Propaganda Panda Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I may call HP and ask to get mine fixed, alot of people are saying theirs are fine. Mine with everything at max, requires a yell to be heard. I can't use it to record lectures.

9. Carl2000

The mic's on the tx2000 are beam microphones, which mean they are directional microphones. Directional microphones are limited to a fixed range. They work best if the sound source is directly in front of them. Unfortunately on the Tx2000 you'll enjoy the microphones the most for web confrencing or using youcam software. If you want to record lectures you are going to need a omni-directional mic, which are better in closed spaces, i.e. a classroom. Omni-directional mics are better in closed spaces because they'll be able to pick-up the lecturers voice reflecting from the walls. So you'll probably have to invest in an external mic.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...51&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11035340

10. cyberbiker

I haven't heard anyone say theirs is fine, though several of us have said it is acceptable for video conferencing on Skype, Yahoo Messenger or one of the other messenger programs. We all have to little volume to record for voice transcription of many other purposes. Carl2000 hit the nail on the head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.