Any Motion Tablet Fans still alive ?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by digital doctor, Oct 12, 2016.

Tags:
?

Still using Motion Tablets ?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No, but i have in the past

23.1%
  3. Motion what ?

30.8%
  1. Davaris

Davaris Pen Pal - Newbie

I pulled my LE1600 out again late last year after that Intel bug struck. The LE1600 does not use speculative execution and there's no Intel Management Engine to worry about, so IMO its a good little machine for internet browsing if you use a minimalist Unix style operating system.

I'm also on the lookout for one of those optional DVI-D cables Motion Computing used to make, or if anyone knows of an alternative DVI cable that works with the LE series please let me know. :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am still using two LE1700's I bought in 2011; one is in my home office and the other one is in the living room. Needless to say that both are hooked to the charger; the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I have removed the cells from a battery holder so I can leave it on the tablet without the batteries draining power from the charger.

I got the Surface PRO 3 when it first came out but I disliked the new soft keyboard because I couldn't move the keyboard around and I couldn't scale it the way I do it in W7. So I returned the Surface to the store.

I got the latest Ipad Pro 12" for my wife. This is a wonderful piece of hardware. In return she got me the Apple pen which works so well. Unfortunately the software coming with that tablet, namely IOS and friends, is a poor joke. There is yet no painting software that provides brushes that handle the pen tiltness in a decent way. I have tried many apps. The app that handles the tilt pen best is the Notes app that comes with the tablet! I find better apps on Android than on IOS for what I am doing. Apple should make the Ipad run their full size OS.

I would get the Surface book if it were a true tablet with all the battery power under the screen. But I still have that issue with the (W10) soft keyboard anyway. I don't want to run W7 on that tablet since W7 is no longer supported.

I initially replaced the original 80 GB disks with Kingspec 128 GB solid state disks but both failed this year. I reinstalled the original hard disks and both LE1700's are happy.

I find the ergonomics of the LE1700 still to be the reference in tablet design -- not the weight though. For one the LE1700 has enough grip for me to hold it with one hand. I have a hard time holding either the Surface Pro or the Ipad Pro with a single hand. They are so slippery. Aren't MS and Apple designers human beings? Do they use the tablets they sell? The LE1700 has all the connectors I need to hook it to my USB devices and a nice 1GB ethernet connector so I can use the LE1700 as a hub between my Linux PC and color printers or scanners.

MS tablet software (W7) is really good and it comes with still unmatched handwriting recognition.

I hope someone will come up with a practical tablet design running Windows with the W7 soft keyboard, a real grip and the power, the battery life and the pen of the Ipad pro 12".v

(PS) It has been a lot of work to have the right software installed on the LE1700. I had to fight to get the right pen drivers so I can adjust the pressure curve, get the right drawing software and so on. That explains why I am still with those LE1700's; they are now stable and quite predictable tools. Unfortunately I can't expand neither the memory nor the hard disks nor the speed. So I keep an eye open on the latest tablets...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This is like reading a letter from someone who has been stranded on a desert island for the past decade.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

IMHO the VGA adapter is already quite good (on my LE1700) if your monitor has that connector. I have the DVI-D adapter and I don't see much difference in quality between both adapters. I got mine on EBAY some years ago.

5. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

If you think Internet browsing then you are right. Firefox often hangs those days on the old Motion. Then I use the Ipad or the Note4.

However the Internet is still lively on LE1700 if the site has no ads. I am currently taking an on-line course and the video and the slides look perfect. I concurrently take handwritten notes using Journal and I look at a pdf and I run a spreadsheet. I can also have a dictionary app running.

Most of the programs still run quite smoothly including raw processing. The Surface Pro 4 would be faster .. of course it is.

I don't feel lost on a remote island at all.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    WillAdams and Bronsky like this.
  6. Davaris

Davaris Pen Pal - Newbie

How long did your Kingspec last? I just upgraded mine with that exact model.

VGA to DVI needs to be powered for my monitors, so they need a USB port. Also I don't know if the VGA causes it, but a KVM I use with it makes the screen too large on the LE1600. Perhaps its just the KVM.

Internet browsing speeds up immensely if you turn off Java script. Only turn it on when you need it. Java programmers ruined the Internet. It is why I added the SSD. lol

7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Motion Computing offers an industry standard in the slate Tablet PC arena.

Don't argue the above, it says so in this subforum description, I know what I'm talking about

8. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry Davaris I am so late to respond. The first Kingspec lasted from 2011 to 2017 before it failed; the second one lasted four years. The first one was built in 2010 and the second one in 2013. I didn't find the SSD's so much faster than the 80 MBytes hard disks they replaced. I feel the speed limitations come from the hardware controller that can't handle many concurrent requests. It might also be my own failure to find the "right" parameters in Windows7 to handle this SSD!

I use the monitor adaptor to create a two screens setup and I use it with a mouse and an external keyboard. I don't clone the tablet screen on the external monitor often since there is a resolution mismatch and I don't like the result generally.

I will try to disable Java, thanks.

9. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

I just replaced the HDD with a Zheino ZIF 128GB SSD and I will see how long that one lasts. The two Kingspec's failed as I said above. This time though I did a fresh install of Windows7 Ultimate. The tablet is very lively; it boots as fast as my Note4 and programs start quickly. This is just the fourth time I change the disk on that tablet!

I hope that by the time that Zheino SSD fails someone will offer a 12 in TabletPC that is as good as the large IPAD but that runs a real OS and has the ergonomics of the LE1700 -- without the weight!

I am fortunate that the Chinese people provide parts for the LE1700 so I can keep the LE1700 alive. Apart from the SSD I got a new pen this summer and a new battery two years ago. Very good! And SAI2 works so well...

Now the last edition of Mupdf-gl adds an inking capability so it's straightforward to add handwritten notes to a PDF document. That works great on the LE1700.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018