Any Motion Tablet Fans still alive ?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by digital doctor, Oct 12, 2016.

Tags:
?

Still using Motion Tablets ?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No, but i have in the past

30.0%
  3. Motion what ?

20.0%
  1. digital doctor

digital doctor Pen Pal - Newbie

WillAdams likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

I used to be WillAdams over there --- was sad to see the site dwindle away in usage.

digital doctor likes this.
  3. digital doctor

WillAdams likes this.
  4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man, those tablets are expensive, even used. What's so special about them vs. say a new Companion 2?

5. digital doctor

6. surfaceproartist

Yes, I have a CC2 along with just about every other tablet that's been released since 2013, but somehow I missed the Motion train. I only own a couple of their pens that I bought for the Surface Pro 1 and 2.

7. digital doctor

haha.
    The Motion LE1700 Release Date was July 14, 2009.
    Before that I used Toshiba M200s.
    I also have "more than a few" other tablets that I dont use.
    I remember buying a Acer to play with off ebay because "lots of other people had one" and I wanted to try it out. Which I did, for an hour.

8. surfaceproartist

Sounds like you have a lot of catching up to do! :D

Hope you have a chance to check out my blog and reviews.

digital doctor likes this.
  9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I wrote some stuff for TabletPCBuzz, and even got to go to CES for them one year. But then I got a job writing for PCWorld which gave me access to lots of fun stuff, but limited what I could write about elsewhere. Then I got pregnant, which came with a level of sick I had not anticipated. And then the baby, which was so much harder that I could have imagined. And just when I was finally starting to get my head above water, I got pregnant again. I love my kids, but they kind of killed my little tech journalism hobby.

I still use tablets a ton in my music teaching and performing. I very rarely play a gig from paper music anymore. I've recently picked up my blogging again, but don't get as much time to write as I'd like. I'm mostly preparing music for my various classes and ensembles, but hope to write about my setup for this school year soon.

Motion had a niche back in the day in the medical field and construction and other outdoor type jobs. They had a tablet that could be sanitized to medical grade standards. I believe the LE1600 and LE1700 offered a daylight viewable screen. The LE1700 also offered a 12" 1400x1050 screen when most everything was still 1024x768. With the extended slice battery, they also offered more battery life than most laptops of the era. And hot-swapable slices meant you really could go all day with enough of them.

My first tablet gig was played off a TC1100, before the iPad was a thing. I got to borrow an LE1600 for a while, and the extra screen space was great. I almost got an LE1700, but found a Thinkpad x61 with the high res screen and went that direction instead. I put up with the tiny little iPad for a while, because Forscore is a really great app. I finally got sick of the tiny screen and used a Surface Pro 3 for a while, until I found a deal on a refurb HP Pro Slate 12. It's nearly as big as an iPad pro, and at 1/3rd the price, I don't mind hauling it around and leaving it on music stands. The ultrasonic pen doesn't suck, and MobileSheets Pro is serviceable if not quite as awesome as Forscore.

I briefly looked into getting an LE1700 again recently, but there are too many fanless options with better battery life now. The nostalgia isn't strong enough.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  10. bin23

bin23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Still use mine. The extended battery doesn't charge, just blinks it's morse coded curses I think. I have been using my Le 1700 with a wireless number pad. The number pad is where all my hotkeys live/lived. Without the extended battery life however, I have begun to look for a replacement. In terms of line quality, responsiveness and tracking the Le has been great. I am a bit weepy about it and don't want to let it go, but I don't want to pull all my hair out either.

Bin

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.