Any Justification for Consumer Reports to Stop Recommending Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 10, 2017.

?

Have You Had a Microsoft Surface Tablet or Laptop Break within Two Years of Purchase?

1. Yes (Please describe below)

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No, mine is still going strong.

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Microsoft...got caught up by this unreliability, leading to a falling out with Intel. Microsoft’s recent ARM push with Windows 10 is a result of that falling out; the software giant believes that Intel needs a counter to its dominance...>>
    <<...Microsoft, I’m told, fabricated the story about Intel being at fault. The real problem was Surface-specific custom drivers and settings...>>

...Just a thought about this. The WoA effort, however it turns out, is going to be an expensive proposition, with the potential to disrupt or dilute the core of Microsoft's hardware sales. Why would Microsoft undertake such an effort, in effect wasting money and possibly threatening sales, based on an internally-concocted lie? That makes no sense to me.

Another thing. Thurrott characterizes his other internal source as having a "take" on this subject. That's an odd way to put it. Either Microsoft lied or they didn't (or, even more likely, it was an honest disagreement of exactly whose fault it was) so that source would have been able to say that Microsoft lied. Period. Why would there be a "take" on such a black and white situation...?

Bronsky, Kumabjorn and Mesosphere like this.
  2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Here's a possibie timeline that I think is quite probable: Microsoft initially had problems with the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book, which company upper management sincerely thought was the fault of Intel, and said so. Only after the meeting with Lenovo mentioned in the Thurrott article did Microsoft's management team begin to realize that the problems were self inflicted.

If this is true, Microsoft didn't fabricate a lie, it was just wrong about the source of the problem. Keep in mind, it's not a lie if you sincerely think you're telling the truth, but you're mistaken.

Marty and Mesosphere like this.
  3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although I love tablets, as we all do, I also have a thing for the Intel Nuc range. From using them, as well as the Surface range, Intel can really mess things up with their drivers. It can be painful at times.

4. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Both my SP2, which my wife now uses and my S3 are still performing without any issues whatsoever.

Ed Hardy and Bronsky like this.
  5. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

An interesting read about overall pc hardware failure. https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...-pc-failures-results-shatter-enthusiast-myths

I’d be interested to read returns and failure ratings on Apple in a couple of years. We have had so many of the new MacBook Pros with touchbar glitch out and fail that it’s ridiculous. I’d say close to 50% of the hundreds we get in. My own MacBook Pro 2015 edition has damage to the screen from the keyboard. Not sure how that happened. Compare that to the hundred or so Surface devices we have that I can say have had no problems. The only issue we’ve had is with the power adapters and the type covers failing.

At home my Surface Pro 2 is running perfectly with absolutely no problems. The same can be said for my home MacBook Pro 2015 edition.

The thing I’d wager CR doesn’t factor in is how people are using the devices. I’m a designer by trade, and I know most Apple users in my field baby the hell out of their Apple devices. While Windows users toss their hardware around like frisbees. Keep in mind that’s my own observations, but I wonder about use influencing fail rate. Consider that Surface devices are tablets that one carries around. While many MacBook owners leave their devices essentially docked at their desk. That’s how the majority work at my job, and only take their MacBook home on occasion.

sonichedgehog360 and dbrn like this.
  6. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Since MS has now recycled back to the Surface Pro moniker, I have to iterate that I'm still using the Pro One. Not the Pro Five. As both are the Pros. I'm over 4 years on the Pro One. Main issue I'm having is that it is a 128 GB hard drive. But I go to local BB and what do they have on display for Pro 4 and Pro Five are all 128 GB models. Really, after four years, I still have to pay a premium to get more than 128 GB? My Pro One still going strong. Keyboard touch pad still flakes out while using it, same problem for four years. I think it's more software than hardware as I've learned to just use the touch screen and keyboard will mysteriously come back. But now I'm a little worried as charging magnetic connection getting flaky. Had to stick a piece of paper to cock the connection to get it to charge. Yikes:
    Pro.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Ed Hardy likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Kumabjorn and Mesosphere like this.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I tend to think Surface support over the years has been a mess so I'm not surprised by this at all.

Let's keep in mind that this is the same company that had a broken Wifi chipset for months when they first launched because they cheaped out and went Marvell. They released Pro 3 and used a new Marvell chip which had new wifi issues for a while. (Oh, and when they released the Lumia 950 and 950XL? What do you know, there were wifi issues there as well).

They basically bricked the battery of the Pro 2 with a bad firmware update for ~3 months because they don't work over the winter holiday. They had to recall the Pro 1/2 chargers because of a faulty cable from the outlet to the adapter (and should have recalled the flat-out faulty design of the connector itself which did not have good enough strain relief and wore out over time). And the Pro 2 Type Cover connection can wear out enough to where moving the device at all can cause random resets (which was the last straw for me personally). And that's without all of the sleep and power issues over the past few years.

It's honestly been problem after problem with these devices. I absolutely loved my Pro 2, but Microsoft really does have a terrible track record. And even myself, I went through two Pro 1s in eight months and three Pro 2s in the three-ish years I used that.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

What are you using now?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I got the Cube i7 Book from Gearbest a while back and have been using that. Absolutely zero support there, which at only $300 for a Core M device is acceptable to me. If it was as much as a Surface that'd be a bit different. :D

Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.