Any Justification for Consumer Reports to Stop Recommending Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 10, 2017.

?

Have You Had a Microsoft Surface Tablet or Laptop Break within Two Years of Purchase?

1. Yes (Please describe below)

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No, mine is still going strong.

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that a breakdown would be more interesting. But MacBook[Pro]s are reasonably popular and I would not describe them as media tablets.

I don't know how to describe the iPad Pro which I owned for some time. It's way more than a media tablet (Apple Pencil was great; Procreate is solid) and way less than a PC (no normal file system, no scripting options, no 3rd party system wide tools, etc.). I guess it is what it is.

And even though Surface Pro + Win10 is doing more, I still want better quality than what they are putting out.

But yeah a comparison of Samsung Win10 vs. Microsoft Win10 would be informative, so I see your point.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting articles.

Here’s What Microsoft is Saying Internally About Surface Quality and Reliability
    https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/mic...saying-internally-surface-quality-reliability

Microsoft Mounts Its Defense of Surface Reliability
    https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/mic.../microsoft-mounts-defense-surface-reliability

Microsoft has come out publicly against Consumer Reports, stating that it disagrees with the publication’s Surface reliability findings. But it doesn’t offer much in the way of evidence.

Ultimately, what we’re left with here is Microsoft doing what it must do, which is defending Surface. But this is also Microsoft offering no hard evidence that Consumer Reports was wrong to drop its recommendation of Surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Art_N00b likes this.
  4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

By volume, they sell many more iPads than Mac books (i think something like 10 to 1), so the average us going to be dominated by how the iPad performs. I wouldn't be shocked if MacBooks reliability was above average for a laptop, but by lumping it with iPad it is going to be impossible to tell from this stat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. Art_N00b

10 to 1? That sounds made up so I did some minor research:

The iPad to Mac ratio is around 2.66:1 per http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/appl...results-iphone-ipad-mac-sales-all-up-3581769/ but sadly "Macs" are not broken down into iMac vs. MacBook.

Also "Apple's latest MacBook Pro has already outsold all competing laptops this year, according to new data shared by research firm Slice Intelligence." per https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/09/new-macbook-pro-has-outsold-all-competitors/

I can't find the ratio of MacBook to iMac sales. If it's 2:1 (yes I'm making that up) then the ratio of iPad to MacBook is around 4:1.

"The MacBook Pro has sold almost four times as many units as Microsoft's Surface Book, nine times as many units as the Asus Chromebook Flip, and ten times the Lenovo Yoga 900." - https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2016/11/09/apple-macbook-pro-sales-figures/

6. Art_N00b

Thanks for sharing. The first thing I notice in the first article is that the graph is about 90-day returns. Machines continue to have problems past 90-days and CR was explicit in mentioning 2 years as the period of time that they consider. Let's see Microsoft release 2 year data.

Wow to this: "Since then, however, another trusted source at Microsoft has provided with a different take on this story. Microsoft, I’m told, fabricated the story about Intel being at fault. The real problem was Surface-specific custom drivers and settings that the Microsoft hardware team cooked up."

...because if that's true, it's bald face lying to customers (even beyond the usual kind of lying that marketing people do for a living) as well as slandering Intel. It also means you can't trust Microsoft to give an honest answer about problems although that does not distinguish them from Apple, Lenovo and probably everyone else.

I disagree with the article when it says "...the new Surface Pro, which is obviously just a minor update". The totality of improvements for the nSP seem substantial though the reported quality issues are keeping me away for now.

Panay says "...what Consumer Reports calls a “failure” is perhaps overly-broad and that some incidents—like a frozen screen or unresponsive touch—are not “failures” but are rather just minor incidents that are easily rectified by the user." ... but I say why should users have to rectify frozen screens and unresponsive touch?

I liked this comment on the article "Think the CR report was a blessing in disguise. I could see mSFT even upping their game here..."

Marty likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Not made up, but possibly out of date and/or miss remembered. A couple years ago, IIRC, iPad was selling at 20 million per quarter to Macs 2-3 million (and Mac sales were dominated by laptops). That is what I was referring too.

Your first link is broken for me.

8. Art_N00b

That's strange as it works for me... Broken how? 404? No response? Internal server error?

9. Mesosphere

404, maybe tapatalk issue? I'll look it up when I'm at a real computer =)

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree, from the Thurott article: "Microsoft, I’m told, fabricated the story about Intel being at fault. The real problem was Surface-specific custom drivers and settings that the Microsoft hardware team cooked up."

Hardware QA issues I can forgive, but lying to consumers I cannot. I really hope MS responds to this allegation.

(And I can't imagine MS is too pleased that their #1 media figure is reporting this kind of thing. That would be like Mossberg outright saying Apple lied about Antennagate. :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.