Any Justification for Consumer Reports to Stop Recommending Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 10, 2017.

?

Have You Had a Microsoft Surface Tablet or Laptop Break within Two Years of Purchase?

1. Yes (Please describe below)

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No, mine is still going strong.

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

The survey on this thread said to describe breakage. I bought a Surface Book and it had so many problems, it was beyond ridiculous. Screen blacking out, update-looping-hell, CPU burning hot with full fans for no apparent reason, etc. I managed to fix most of it by using sys admin commands to repair the file system and installing all updates. But I couldn't fix all of them and I sent it back. This was truly awful considering that Microsoft made the hardware, made the software and ran the store. The Surface Book had even been out for several months so there was time for issues to be fixed.

Later I purchased an SP4 m3 from Best Buy with type cover and pen. I have had zero problems with that one. But it's underpowered and I only use it for browsing and note taking.

DRTigerlilly and Ed Hardy like this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I had an original Surface Pro which had this weird screen flickering going on, replaced under warranty as defective.

Then we purchased a Surface Pro 3 (my dad's) which ended up with a dead touch zone, replaced under warranty.

I now have a Surface Pro 4, and I'm getting a weird popping sound from the speaker when it resumes from sleep, and the screen has developed a persistent line at the bottom. ? dead pixels? will probably also be going in for warranty soon...

EDIT: Also the keyboard will randomly lose connection, and has to be disconnected/reconnected to work...and this has been pretty much the case since I bought the tablet.

All of these issues popped up w/in the first year of ownership...

Also had my best friend & cousin have had issues with their Surfaces...primarily software issues....booting to stop at the Surface Logo, requiring reinstallation...

I had a similar issue with a recent update, though it would black screen after logging in. Safe Mode identified a driver error, but the drivers couldn't be installed. Queue reinstallation.

My best friend has had issues with his touchpad becoming unresponsive...

The more I think about it the more things I remember....then the SP3 pen died and trying to replace the battery resulted in a borked pen as I couldn't get the top off...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Ed Hardy likes this.
  3. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

I am still using my surface pro 1 from about 4 years ago.
    never had any real issues. basically, replaced the docking power cord (recently), and the regular charger.

an occasional problem with the keyboard not being recognized, but not anymore. also have a power base keyboard and backup.

i remember seeing people on forums for each of the other surface pro, 2, 3, and 4 with lots of issues, both hardware and software problems.

for me, since i'm still on 8.1, haven't had to worry about too many fixes, or software problems.

later

Ed Hardy likes this.
  4. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the same problem during my first year with an SP3, a had it replaced under warranty. The replacement lasted about another 2 years until I cracked a touch sensor (my own fault).

I have the same problem, which started about 1-2 weeks ago (and have seen other reports of this problem). Wouldn't call this 'broken', but it does highlight Microsoft's consistent problem with updates that create new problems.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

My issue is they make the hardware and the software. It's a limited range of hardware. Do they not have reference models they're installing updates on? We are not their beta testers... or are we?

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

No problems whatsoever with my Surface 3 after exactly 2 years of ownership. Rock solid with heavy daily usage at work and home.

Ed Hardy and Bronsky like this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The comparison lumps together "tablet and laptop" owners. Samsung and Apple are way out ahead, but they sell primarily media tablets where the others sell primarily PCs. Is it really fair to compare the reliability of devices running a full OS where much more can go wrong to a streamlined and locked down iOS device?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No ... but that is far too nuanced for Consumer Reports to understand.

9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's my take, so far I've had only two surface devices, they SP3i which I've passed over to my daughter, zero problem, and the SB with discrete graphic card which I bought fairly used and had to RMA from Japan all the way to the US for problem with edge not playing YouTube videos, (but more importantly for the satisfaction of getting a totally new device for the price of a used one). I'd say that (knock on wood) the experience with the device line has been stellar so far. Above all, the support has been excellent.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Ed Hardy likes this.
  10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well i think CR is in wrong direction putting at the same level ios and android device to pc windows segment since everyone knows that majority of device Apple and Samsung selling is iPad or android tablet instead of PC machine that all other OEM is producing and selling most of the case.

From that point of view CR should change the methodology of their observation since lacking reliability.

But that's no excuse of MS poor quality control that need to be improve further.
    I total agree with the final observation made by this article.
    https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-vs-consumer-reports-closer-look-microsofts-surface-defence/

The best way for Microsoft to fix its Surface perception problem is simply to work harder and maintain reliability. AFter all, with Microsoft controlling everything about this device, it has no one to blame when things go wrong, but itself.

Since Apple can do this with their own OS so MS obligation its at the same level.
    Apple too using third party components from major partners like Intel,Samsung,Toshiba,Qualcomm,AMD or Nvidia for majority of under the hood component so if Apple can offer maximum compatibility and optimized partnership between software and hardware so MS should do the same without exception.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.