Any Justification for Consumer Reports to Stop Recommending Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 10, 2017.

?

Have You Had a Microsoft Surface Tablet or Laptop Break within Two Years of Purchase?

1. Yes (Please describe below)

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No, mine is still going strong.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Consumer Reports announced today that it's pulling its recommendation of all Microsoft's Surface tablets and laptops, claiming they break at a higher rate than their competitors.

The publication surveyed its subscribers about the products they use, and found that about 25% of Surface models break within two years.

Microsoft responded by saying "Surface is designed and built with performance and reliability in mind. We extensively test hardware and software to ensure that customers can be confident in their Surface devices.

"Every generation of Surface surpasses its predecessors in performance and in reliability. Surface return and support rates are in line if not lower than industry average for devices in the same class. We are committed to ensuring the premium Surface experience for all of our customers across the entire family of devices.”

We have a large group of Surface users here. Do any of you think there's justification for Consumer Repoets action?

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I have a three-year-old Surface Pro that's still going strong. Aside from the paint loss that was typical of that model, it's been a real workhorse.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My surface pro 1, surface 3 and surface book are all still going strong. Not sure how useful that anecdotal evidence is though. Did consumer reports detail their methodology/data they used to arrive at that 25% number?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bloodycape, WillAdams and Ed Hardy like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I am on my third Surface 3. There was clearly a problem with the early displays. The screen yellowing started a week or so before its first anniversary. My second one had a spot that got brighter than the other portions of the display and kept growing. If I hadn't paid for the extended Complete Care warranty, I would not have been a happy camper. I think my third unit was a new one, since it had 0 wear on the battery. It has been great so far (about 5 months old).

WillAdams and Ed Hardy like this.
  5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1.My first surface device was Pro 2(i kept it for about 6-7 months before sold it was rock solid)
    2.My second surface device was Pro 3(i kept it for about 15 months before sold it was rock solid).
    3.My third surface device was Surface 3(i kept it for about 6 months before sold to a friend and the time it was at my hand was rock solid,but 2 months before 2 year warranty expired suddenly appeared yellow spot at screen and my friend return it to MS and provide a new replacement unit so far everything good as told me)

4.My forth surface device was Pro 4(i kept it for about 7 months and suddenly one day wake up turn on device at work and battery capacity reduced about 1/3 of the total capacity-i had 35% battery wear i was totally socked since before that i had 5-6% battery wear)
    Next day return it to MS and 3 days after receiving my unit they provide me with brand new replacement unit witch sold it after 1 month of
    usage.
    5.My fifth surface device is current Surface Book i'm having it almost 6 months everything rock solid so far.

But i know a friend how purchased Surface Book from amazon UK and within 1.5 month suddenly could t boot at all.
    Stuck at surface logo whatever attempt to boot even with usb recovery and machine didn't response.
    Run check disk and show him corrupt SSD.

After that contact to amazon and they provide him a replacement brand new unit and so far after almost 8 month everything rock solid with the second unit.

That s my experience 4 years with surface device.

hiramkey, WillAdams and Ed Hardy like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Have two Pro models, 2 and 3. 2 doesn't really get used a lot but it is extremely sturdy. I'd even be willing to submit it to the @Bronsky car test, and I'm not being flippant here. The 3 though came with a problem that I haven't done anything about. It has a zone about an inch from the lower bezel (regular landscape) that doesn't accept pen input, but in Japan the store selling it doesn't accept returns, they have to go to Microsoft Japan directly. Now, that was really only a major PITA when I wanted to do handwritten text input and before I knew it, Microsoft gutted the handwriting feature so it really didn't matter.

Ed Hardy and Bronsky like this.
  7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't doubt the survey results but I've only had one Surface Pro 3 develop a screen issue (a yellow band along the left side). My original Surface Pro 1, 2, another 3, 4, Book and new SP have not had any problems. I attribute my luck to clean living.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Must be why I've had so many S3's. To be honest, I don't baby my devices. That's why Complete Care is a necessity. I would bet I've used my S3s for a minimum of 9 hours a day docked at the office and for an hour or two most nights and weekends. That's lots of hours when you think of it. The other thing that CR should look at is Microsoft's great warranty/extended warranty and service. Even with two replacements, I have no complaints.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My last surface replaced after it decided to say hi to the floor, but my first surface was replaced within the first month for phantom touch issues(had it on phones before) and accidently trying to plug in the charger into the full size usb port causing the port to short out. Otherwise they have been mostly reliable.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  10. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Mesosphere, Ed Hardy and WillAdams like this.