Any help in figuring out where my PC is slowing down?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Madcap, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, So I just upgraded my system about 4-5 days ago. My current system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Processor @ 2.2ghz (have oc'd to 2.4ghz) <all stock>
    2x1024 unbufferd XMS Corsair dual channel, paired, DDR-400, pc3200 RAM <all stock>
    1x300GB 7200RPM HDD (for files and installing games to)
    1X80GB 5400RPM HDD (for installing programs to and where downloads go)
    1X10GB 5400RPM HDD (dedicated to Windows XP Pro and only Windows XP Pro)
    XFX AGP 256mb 6800GT running in 8x (have OC'd to a 6800 Ultra)
    Thermaltake silent pure power 420watt PSU
    Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 motherboard
    Nemesis Elite Case
    Stock 6800GT Fan/HS replaced with a Zalman fan/HS solution, RAM cooled by solid copper BGA-sinks
    Running 36" round LinkDepot IDE cable with 10GB drive master and DVD/CD-RW drive slave
    Running 18" round Thermaltake IDE cable with 80GB drive master and 300GB drive slave
    300GB drive has a HDD Fan/HS cooler on the bottom

I am able to run Half-Life 2 and CS:S almost flawlessly at max settings with only a few stutters here and there. I have not tried F.E.A.R. yet. My question is this. Why is it that in 3DMark06, I am barely able to get over 5FPS in any of the tests. Before you ask, yes I have tried the tests both on maximum and minimum settings. Both results were exactly the same. Temperatures are not a problem. I have tried the test both with CPU and Video card overclocked and not overclocked. I have messed with BIOS settings to get max performance. I have even tried adding two random 512 sticks to my extra two slots, giving me a total of 3GBs of RAM. I have also set 3DMark06 to run on one core only, thinking that the dual cores might be screwing it up. This is a fresh install of Windows XP Pro (reformatted about 3 days ago). I have read everywhere and tried everything I can think of. Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING has changed the outcome in 3DMark06 AT ALL. I know that my dual core may not be the most powerful when it comes down to "simple" things like raw processing power. Where it performs is in multi-task heavy environments like level building and what-not, but 0-5FPS?! That's just absurd! I am open to any suggestions, and will answer any questions you may have about my system settings and how things are hooked up, etc.

2. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

Yikes. It's sounds like your computer is a MONSTER.

You obviously know more about the insides of a computer than I, so my suggestions may do you no good, but the only thing I can suggest is to defrag your harddrives. I know that when I was trying to play older games and was getting a low frame rate, defragging the hard drive solved all my problems.

Nonetheless, if you're computer runs flawlessly, I wouldn't be worried about the FPS's according to benchmarks.

3. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice! That's one thing I haven't tried yet. **shudders at the thought of having to defrag a 300GB drive** I guess I should probably defrag them all for good measure, even though I just reformatted the drive XP is on. *sigh* This is going to take a while...

4. cochise

cochise Pen Pal - Newbie

Defraging always helps a hard drive. I had the same problem with my computer, though mine was considerably worse, and the defrag did the trick. If that doesn't work post again about it.

5. McDuck

McDuck Pen Pal - Newbie

It won't take too long to defrag a 300GB drive.
    I have a 250GB desktop and defrag regularly, takes about 30 minutes.
    Being a tablet it will take longer, but I would see under an hour.

6. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually i'm on a full sized, darn near "state of the art" desktop. At any rate. it took about 2 hours to defrag my 10gig. I think it took somewhere around 3-5 hours to defrag my 300gig, and it took around 10+ hours to defrag my 80gig drive. At any rate there was no change in performance in 3Dmark pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.