Any good PDF readers for slate mode?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by dnquark, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnquark

dnquark Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm considering jumping on a tm2 deal; I'm using a tablet right now, but I kind of want core i5 and capacitive input. For instance, if I'm reading a PDF in slate mode, it would be nice to turn the page like you would do on an iPad, without hunting for small buttons with a stylus (this becomes particularly painful if you are reading sheet music, for instance). Are there any PDF readers that allow you to easily work with touch in slate mode?.. (Martview would be nice, but it insists on displaying pages side by side, which makes the print too small).

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

With Foxit you just tap the screen to go to the next page. To go back you right-click or do the equivalent. I have gestures turned off on my tablet, so I have to use the tablet (hardware) buttons.

For small print, consider using a pdf editor to crop the white space. It's definitely worth doing for books you read a lot, like textbooks.

3. webgraf

webgraf Pen Pal - Newbie

Acrobat Reader! :)
    just use "Fill the Window" or other non one-page view.
    multitouch is supported and scrolling text is very friendly

ps. i doubt it suits for music sheets, but for regular reading it is ok

4. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

I like to send my PDFs to OneNote...where I can annotate them with the pen as I'm reading. When I lift the pen about an inch from the screen, the pen is off and touch is on, allowing me to flick a finger across the screen and scroll to the next page. It's pretty a pretty wonderful example of the power of combining touch and the pen. If you don't want to take notes on the doc, OneNote is still a very viable option for touch and organization of your docs at the same time.

5. r3fr4cti0n

r3fr4cti0n Pen Pal - Newbie

i have been using nook software for pc

(Free NOOK app, Download eReader app - Barnes & Noble)

to read ebooks, keeps em organized and its easy to download tons of books! also you can also annotate and save the page. furthermore if you assign ctrl+superbutton+up/down to your flicks it makes moving through the pages easy as pie. if your using strokeit you have even more control.

6. darksine

darksine Pen Pal - Newbie

is there anyway to adjust the Nook app so you can use your finger to flip pages? Or some way to make the use of the program in tablet mode easier?

7. Ultimoose

Ultimoose Scribbler - Standard Member

Stanza for the Desktop works well for me but I use it primarily because it lets me read my collection of books (1000's) regardless of the format, it handles pretty much all of them. It's a slide reader though, not a 'flip/flick' one. I generally make it full screen and just use my thumb that's holding the tablet to keep sliding the screen up. There's no fancy page turns or even a decent looking UI, it was primarily conceived as a way to convert books and then transfer them wirelessly to the iphone app which has all the graphic bits and bobs. It does support pinch zooming though. And really what more do you need to read a book than the ability to move through the text and make the font the right size? :)

Blio is a 'nice' looking reader but you have to convert your books to XPS format. If you have Office installed (windows at least) you can print a book from say Stanza to the XPS printer.

For all it's lack of bells, whistles and everything I find it's just easy to open a book in stanza and read it that way. Rather than deal with converting etc.

8. r3fr4cti0n

r3fr4cti0n Pen Pal - Newbie

@Darksine, just started using Kindle for (tablet) pc, its much more touch friendly even has a built in dictionary that you can use without leaving the book page.

@dnquark, for pdf martview is crazy softwear for tablet pc's, its very apple-like

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.