Any drawbacks to SXGA+ display? (M400 vs. T4210)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ace Bullet, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace Bullet

Ace Bullet Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm an artist trying to decide on a tablet PC, and it's down to either the Toshiba M400 or the new Fujitsu T4210. The deciding factor is whether I want an XGA or SXGA+ display. I would prefer SXGA+ because of the added screen real estate I'll need for an application like Maya.

But I want to know, are there any drawbacks to a 1400x1050 display, in areas such as sharpness, lag time, or viewing angle? Or is SXGA+ basically the same screen as XGA, but higher-res?

2. waltzzz

waltzzz Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Toshiba M200 with SXGA+ and were I to upgrade I'd have the same dilemma as you.

Yes there are some drawbacks with the small fonts. Other than that I doubt if there are any. The pixles are hardly visible, the image is crisp and beautiful. Setting the machine to a lower resolution is possible but then there is fuzziness. LCDs like their native resolution.

I resolve the small font problem by zooming in MindManager, Firefox, Word etc. That works well as the menus stay small and what I work on is easily visible.

I also have a 17" additional monitor and a stand for the M200 (not available for other models as far as I know.) I'll post up a picture. Great to have dual screens.

I imagine that for graphical work the finer resolution would be great. However I think the Fujitsu sounds like the better machine in all ways except IMO for the XGA.

This is a scary thread:

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33523&whichpage=1

3. waltzzz

waltzzz Pen Pal - Newbie

4. nossy

nossy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the M400 with SXGA and I don't regret it. But you'll need to set the font's resolution to a higher DPI, unless you have very good eyes.

5. marbles

marbles Pen Pal - Newbie

Im a little confused on why an SXGA has smaller fonts than an XGA?
    Is it to do with screen width or height?

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not entirely but part true..
    You could have one screen size at 19" running an SXGA and another screen at 15" running an XGA.
    If you look at both screens, although using different resolutions, the fonts would appear something similar.

However, have both screens set to SXGA and on the 19" the fonts would appear larger.

Basically, when running the same resolution; the larger size screen you go, the larger the fonts will appear.

7. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

OK..
    text size is a 'has to do with,' also stated as, 'is a function of,' DPI.

DPI is a function of resolution and screen size.

since the SXGA and XGA m400/t4210 are the same size, their resulting differences in text size is a function of resolution only.

so the text on the SXGA m400 will be 1024/1400 or 73% of the size of the text on the t4210.

thus if a particular font is 10mm tall on the fujitsu, it will be 7.3mm tall on the m400.

8. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

It sucks fitting in to a niche market. I'm with you guys waltzzz & Ace Bullet. SXGA+ is a must! I'm also having heaps of trouble deciding because of it.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's making your trouble even harder in choice......

As to the FS T4210, I have recently heard that you will also be able to purchase this in the higher SXGA+ :)

10. lowlight

lowlight Pen Pal - Newbie

And that is worth waiting for ;)
    When will this be available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.