Any chance of a refresh appearing?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by excalibur1814, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know all about the cost of a 'new system' you don't have to tell me about it (it was the reason I went with the Tm2 in the first place, but I regretted it after having to deal with that damned battery hump and bad screen), but buying a 'used' or better yet a 'manufacturer refurbished' business class device will ring you in at $400-900 for a fully spec'd model (depending on if you are getting a Core 2 Duo based one, or a Core-i based one)

As long as the Tablet PC you buy used/ refurbished has a warranty still, or even just a DOA guarantee from your seller, then you have yourself a really high quality machine for a fraction of what it would have cost you brand new! most people don't realize it, but just opening the box on a new computer makes it a 'used' computer (albeit a 'lightly used' one, it is still refereed to as used) so buying new does not get you anything more than buying used, other than the ability to say "I bought this new!" with that little nagging voice in the back of your head saying you paid too much...

but other than cost, I don't understand how [assuming all models were in proper working order, and well spec'd out] someone could prefer a Tm2 to a good business class device; which is why I asked (but haven't got a response yet)

oh, and while it may not be as portable as the Tm2 is, a Tablet PC [with Expresscard slot] + a DIY ViDock will allow you to play any game your hart desires at max, or near all max settings (some of the very latest DX11 games admittedly do better with some settings down a little, but the fact that it works so well on the internal screen is just amazing and totally awesome to use)

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, it's NOT that the Asus EP121 was a bad machine, just that the battery life really didn't do the machine justice and trust me, I tried to make it better:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep1...ut-box-tweak-clean-services-applications.html

The 2740p was an amazing machine, fast, quite good battery life with slice, but it wasn't for me. Even though it was an elitebook, it did feel a bit frail (Which is a bit silly as they all are).

So, as I have an Envy 13 (The ONLY machine I've kept for over a year) and I grabbed a TM2 for the lady friend, I realised that it's probably the 'smartest looking' tablet out there, with the Envy 13 keyboard and looks, etc. SUre, the battery life could be a bit better but there you go.

None of them are perfect but if someone handed me an Envy 13 with a touch screen I'd pass out.

3. thingemajib

thingemajib Pen Pal - Newbie

basically the major selling point of the tm2 for me was the discrete graphics. Im not aware of any other tablet pc having discrete, and i do like to play the odd game. That, and i also think the tm2 is one of the most stylish ones around, though i guess this is personal preference.

However, i would kill for a full blown i3/i5 that the elitebooks have and none of this ultra low voltage rubbish. Guess the graphics were more important.

4. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

About one year ago, I don't think there were many refurbs for 2740 around. The TM2 with the low and low power processor were a great entry level machine.

This year we do have a choice. 2760, used 2740, Lenovo and Asus Ep 121.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.