Any body use arm mounts?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kwg06516, Sep 5, 2011.

1. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking for a mounting arm for holding the machine while I use the keyboard and mouse and I found this. It seems to have everything I want, namely a scissor arm supporting a wide range of heights and angles and a holder that pivots and won't cover the speakers or any ports.

The problem is I just don't trust this seller. Obviously they've combined some monitor support meant to hold much deeper objects and a mic stand, which I doubt can bear the weight of that support and my machine since it doesn't look any stronger than any of my scissor lamps which all failed to carry it. I also have a funny feeling about their unlicensed and curious use of The Transformers, their Ebay-esque photography, Engrish and their 100% money back guarantee claim of no refund if the delivered item doesn't match what they've advertised. Who knows, maybe they're afraid someone will sue if they don't get a Transformer.

So does anybody have any recommendations for arms they use, particularly the scissor arm kind?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. StudentMurse

StudentMurse Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using the folio case with three velcro straps securing the landscape prop, which goes over the mounting plate of the monitor arm. It's worked well with my standing desk.

3. rancher5

rancher5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love to have something like that to use with the slate or any other size type of device, Looks great but like you wonder how solid the construction is or isn't, Keep us informed.

4. kwg06516

I think I'm going to DIY this one. I found a few other arms that match my desired range of motion but they're not nearly as flexible as an arm and cost more than $150. Just google ipad arm.

I'd like to think I'm good enough with tools to mate this with a generic lamp arm and some stronger springs. Wish me luck.

5. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

6. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

That looks freaking incredible, like something I'd see in a surgery room.

Can you ink on it using the pen? Doesn't wobble all over the place when you do?

7. jerelyn

I have, though I usually put one hand on a corner to keep it from swiveling. The "up-down" amount can be controlled to be "tight", so you can put your weight on it (assuming that your desk is tough). It's just the side-to-side that I have to control with the non-stylus hand.

Oh, wait! I just realized I fibbed a little...I'm using their laptop arm, not tablet-pc arm. They didn't have the tablet pc version when I bought mine.

EVO® Laptop Arm - Model 5507T. Floating mount and docking station for notebook computers.

Fairly similar, just different ways the two arms attach.

8. eyric101

eyric101 Pen Pal - Newbie

jerelyn,
    Did you actually spend 383 dollars on it as it shows when i click buy now?

9. jerelyn

been ~3 years, so i'm not sure, but it was definitely more than 200. i don't regret paying a premium...its solid and has served me for 3 tablets and probably will for the next 3.

10. kwg06516

And just as expensive, too. I'm sure it's well built and looks sturdy enough to draw on, but it's not really what I was looking for, and certainly not at that price.

My problem is finding a scissor lamp to modify to make the base of my DIY arm. I can't find anything online for less than $60 which is kind of ridiculous. I have a scissor arm lamp that will bear the weight, but it's my grandrich magnifying lens lamp which I really like and don't want to break apart. New ones enter the price range of the surgery lamp. Any ideas? I don't want to end up at wallmart.