Antivirus Recomendation for EP121

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kamikaze458, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shigchiro

shigchiro Pen Pal - Newbie

Another vote for MSE. Lightweight and free without alot of false positives. It also isn't too intrusive. Has anyone tried running Spybot's teatimer on the ep121? I use it on all of my desktops, but worry it would bog down the tablet.

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I have Avira and Spybot. works well. tried MSE several years ago..I was sure it was working or not at that time. may give it a try.

3. bugmenot

bugmenot Pen Pal - Newbie

on all my computers I am using ESET Smart security 4. Except my tablet I am using nod32 2.79 and it rocks

4. xnickx

xnickx Pen Pal - Newbie

NOD32 or ESET is a good choice.

5. BradInOz

BradInOz IT Guru

Actually, if you read the User Agreement before installing Spybot, it actually states that you MUST allow some third-party company the right to send ads and such to your PC (essentially, Adware) in order to use Spybot.

If you disable these features, you disable Spybot in effect... I won't use it.

Malwarebyte's AntiMalware has a pretty good (and adware free) version.

6. BradInOz

BradInOz IT Guru

We mainly use NOD32 at work. Unfortunately, we have had "conficker" doing the constant rounds on our network for well over a year now, and both NOD32 and ESET NOD4 cannot remove it and stop re-infection.

Even Kaspersky couldn't stop it! (I couldn't believe it at first, and have since seen several other viruses successfully get past Kaspersky as well...)

When work finally allowed me to install MSE on some PC's, it successfully removed conficker (without a reboot) AND stopped re-infection. If only they would let other PC's have it installed, it would get rid of it permanently...

Just my experience only, for what it's worth...

7. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

I've seen MSE win several tests of free antivirus programs. I use it on all my computers these days.

8. BradInOz

BradInOz IT Guru

Good to see nobody is recommending Norton's... One of the worst ones to use.

You see a lot of retailers selling it over here in Oz because it costs $5 less wholesale than most other products, and poor Joe Public (ie: the average consumer) doesn't know the difference and thinks it must be good just because they see it everywhere...

A major company we look after in my work use Norton Enterprise, and almost every site's PC is always infected with some virus/trojan/malware that Norton's can't detect or stop. In fact, we always scan for viruses etc FIRST when dealing with their sites due to experience...

Yeah I'm rambling... sorry! :)

9. RanceJustice

RanceJustice Pen Pal - Newbie

I wrote a long reply but my "back" button basically ate it >>;

In summation, the others listed here are good. Check out Virus Bulletin and AV Comparatives. However, the old superiors - Kaspersky and Eset, are no longer so far ahead of everyone else, but are still really great choices despite the fact they cost money. Likewise, F-Secure vacillates in tests between near perfect and merely average. All of these have $40-60 yearly subs, not counting "Internet Security" variants with a firewall etc...

Free AVS - Microsoft Internet Security is one of the best and its free if you have genuine Windows. Version 2's (Black graphic background) is much better than the merely average detection in version 1 (Blue graphic background). Note that you will NOT get an upgrade prompt, only updates. The other option seems to be Avira, which some believe the free version to be superior to MS based on a few tests. Avira also has some affordable Pro-level software that's lightweight, if you don't mind paying - there are even modes to "get out of your way". The pro stuff comes in both a Pro AV which is only $19, to a premium security suite of tools that is only $38!

Finally, two items that should be in every user's toolbox. The "Spybot Search and Destroy" toolbox (including HijackThis) has proven one hell of a way to deal with difficult malware, for free. In addition, there is the free and open source ClamAV, which gets its own entry.

ClamAV is one of the most successful products in the open source world. Every expensive "gateway appliance" that integrates an "AntiVirus" without noting its name is usually using ClamAV. It has great heuristics and one of the most comprehensive signature databases in the world, beating nearly 85% of paid AV in reliability. You can run it command line, on Linux etc... but I'm assuming you want the Windows options. For Windows, you have 2 options - 1 is the old fashioned port ClamWin. Up to date, it has a nice GUI and is lightweight. It even works well with other AVs without fouling them up! The only downside is that without a 3rd party (but still open source) plugin, Clam Sentinel, ClamWin does NOT run resident - you have to manually scan. For many this relegated it to a second AV, but now something cool has happened.

The company that is primarily in charge of ClamAV's development, SourceFire, the security research group that also codes Snort Intrusion Detection, bought out a budding company using ClamAV along with a few other engines in its AV. There is now a new product called "Immunet" available at...

Free Real-Time Antivirus - For FREE. It is extremely lightweight and incorporates a number of engines, including various cloud protection schemes and ClamAV offline solutions. Its subscription supports open source development and opens a few other features (including a new online and offline engine), affordable at only $19 for the "best" version per year, and $39 for 3 licenses for 2 years. Without ClamAV's offline protection installed, as was not by default in version 1 and 2, its detection isn't really up to par as only a few hundred thousand users were in the cloud. This is improving with the addition of different screening engines, to the point that it has 4.5 stars on CNet and elsewhere. It plays well with MSE and the free+paid versions of Avira, as well as other common AVs like those listed. Give it a try for another layer of protection!

10. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you all for your replies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.